Wednesday, May 6, 2020

Cinco de Hodgepodge

Wednesday brings us to the Wednesday Hodgepodge. It's nice to have something to remind us what day it is! Thanks to Joyce for providing the questions. Be sure to click on the button below to pay her a visit, and say hello to the other Hodgepodgers as well.



Here are her questions and my answers:

1.  Question day this week lands on Cinco de Mayo. Are/were tacos on your Tuesday night menu? Hard shell, soft shell or just gimme all the tacos? Are you even a fan of Mexican food? Do you like your salsa mild, spicy, or somewhere in between? Margaritas-Frozen, on the rocks, or no thank you? Have you ever been to Mexico?

We have a favorite local Mexican restaurant in our little town that we have missed so much during the weeks of staying home. Because of high numbers of COVID-19 in our town, restaurants were closed completely for a time. They are open again, for carry out only, and we were pleased to enjoy our favorite meal once again last night for Cinco de Mayo. It took about an hour for me to get through on the phone to place our order, and the car line was lengthy as I approached the pick-up window, but it moved quickly and efficiently. We even got take out margaritas! Yum! On the rocks, with salt is our preference.

(photo from my archives, not from last night)

Along with our entrees, we got some tacos (since it was Tuesday), and the meal included chips and our favorite hot salsa. I have been to Mexico, but only for a brief visit across the border while visiting Arizona. We also stopped at Cozumel on a cruise, but we chose to stay on board the ship that day.

Yesterday would have been my father-in-law's 101st birthday. I love this picture of him celebrating with 3 of his great granddaughters at our Mexican restaurant for his 95th. We miss him!



2. What's something you may do this month?

I may finish up some of the closet cleaning projects I started. Why does it seem that one project leads to another, and then there is more of a mess than when you started? Hopefully I can get everything donated, disposed of, and/or put away sometime soon!

3. Tell us what's happening in your state or town as far as restaurants/salons/parks/beaches/businesses opening up. How do you feel about it? Are you out and about or hunkered down? Do you wear a mask?

In my state of Indiana, the governor has laid out a detailed plan for opening up. I think it seems cautious and reasonable, and it is also subject to change if necessary. I have an appointment for our little dog with the groomer next week, and an appointment for a haircut of my own the following week. At the salon, we will wear masks, gloves, and disposable capes as precautions. A haircut would be nice, but if things change between now and then, and I'm not comfortable going, it won't be the end of the world. We have had a few outdoor socially distanced visits with our kids and grandkids, including taking some walks 'together apart.'



4. Mother nature, everybody and their mother, mom jeans, like mother like daughter, soccer mom, mother hen, mother lode, necessity is the mother of invention, stay-at-home mom...pick one and tell us how it applies to your life right now.

In anticipation of Mother's Day this Sunday, here is a photo of my mom and me in 1960 (yes, I'm that old). It was probably taken on Easter Sunday. I am blessed to have my mom (and my dad) living just across town. I want to wish my mom a happy Mother's Day, and a gentle reminder to stay at home, Mom! (see what I did there?)



5. April showers bring May flowers...what's blooming in your yard or garden today?

Do dandelions count? I do have lilacs that are just beginning to bloom (ahh, the smell), 


and peonies (Indiana state flower, and one of my favorites) that were planted here by Jim's grandma,


and when I delivered groceries to my mom and dad, this dogwood tree is blooming at the end of their driveway. It's another favorite of mine, and I like the legend that goes with it.



6. Insert your own random thought here.

Granddaughter Ella Kate celebrated her ninth birthday on Monday, Star Wars Day. May the 4th be with you! Love you (and your #9 jersey)!



2 comments:

Joyce said...

I love the photograph of your mom. Mine has done really well with the stay-at-home order, but is frustrated and tired of being alone. My sister is taking her to her home for Mother's Day weekend as they've been home themselves and it feels safe enough. Happy Mother's Day!

Debi said...

You have some really lovely and fragrant flowers around you. I love peonies too but have not had much luck growing them. I agree that sometimes projects end up being way bigger and more messy than anticipated. Your granddaughter is a cutie.