Wednesday, February 27, 2013

March to the Hodgepodge

When I was student teaching, oh so many years ago, my supervising teacher had a 'March to Spring' tradition in her classroom. On each day for the month of March, they would put up either a lion or a lamb across the top of the chalkboard, depending on the weather of the day. By the end of the month, there was a visual to confirm that March comes 'in like a lion, out like a lamb.' I was reminded of that activity as we prepare to say hello to March at the end of this week. (The week has definitely started out lion-like around here.) And while we're at it, hello Wednesday, hello Hodgepodge! As always, I am grateful to Joyce, who provides us with thought provoking questions each week. It is up to us to come up with fascinating answers. You be the judge. In any case, be sure to click on the button to visit Joyce and the others. Their answers will undoubtedly be more fascinating than mine. : )

1.  When were you last facing an ocean? Using just ONE word, describe how you felt as you faced that ocean.
I last faced the ocean in November, in Jacmel, Haiti.
It was Bervencia's first time to the beach, though she lives just a few miles away.
She was delighted.
And my word: thankful.

2. What are three sounds you hate to hear?
My alarm clock, a dentist's drill, a siren (any siren, but especially one that is accompanied by lights in my rear view mirror).

3. This question comes to you courtesy of some real life friends. Hi real life friends! When you shop for yourself, do you try everything on in the store before buying or do you buy, try on at home, and then return what you don't like or what doesn't fit?
I actually prefer skipping the trip to the store altogether, ordering online, trying on at home, and returning what I don't like via my friend UPS. So. Much. Easier.

4. February 26th is National Pistachio Day...are you a fan of the little green nut? Do you use them in cooking and baking or prefer to eat them right out of the shell?
I don't believe I have ever had a pistachio right out of the shell. My only experience with pistachios is this salad recipe that we often made for pitch-ins when I was younger. (Do you call them 'pitch-ins' or 'potlucks'? Or something else?)

5. When did you last have to compromise with someone?  Were you happy to reach the compromise or slightly irritated it was necessary?
I think compromise is a part of life. Most of us probably compromise in one way or another, every day. While there are times when compromise is hard, I think we can all learn by respecting the opinions of others when they differ from our own. I try to call it 'growth' rather than 'irritation.' : )

6.  Have you ever written a letter to an elected official? Did you get a response?
No, unless you count a contest of some sort that I did as an assignment when I was in elementary school. It was a letter to Indiana's Governor Edgar Whitcomb for which I won a copy of his book, Escape From Corregidor.

7. We 'March' into a new month at the end of this week...what's something on your March calendar guaranteed to make you smile?
This beach.

8.  Insert your own random thought here.
Our daughter recently posted this photo on Facebook, along with the caption, "Look where we get to park! 09.01.13 : )" It was subsequently 'liked' by 132 friends, congratulating them on their good news.
Yesterday, we did a little shopping in preparation for their first baby, our fourth grandchild. 
God is good.


No comments: