Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Have a Holly Hodgepodge Christmas

I'm a little late with my Hodgepodge post, but, hey, it's still Wednesday, isn't it? It's been a busy few days, and I am thankful for the chance to sit down and answer the questions which are faithfully provided by Joyce each week. I'll take this opportunity to wish Joyce and all the Hodgepodge bloggers, as well as all of you (3 or 4) folks who visit here every now and then a very Merry Christmas and a blessed New Year.

Now to her questions and my answers:
1. Do you believe in miracles?
Yes.
And I believe that miracles come in all shapes and sizes.
I was just reminded of a book that we have in our Christmas book basket when a young mom friend (don't you love those?) posted about it on Facebook. If you haven't read The Christmas Miracle of Jonathan Toomey, by Susan Wojciechowski, you should.

2. What's a recent fad you admit to trying?
Hmmm... #hashtags? Instagram? Pinterest?

3. Peppermint-are you a fan? If so, what's your favorite food or beverage containing peppermint?
I have mentioned it a time or ten. Love me some peppermint. There was a time in my life when I kept a huge bag of peppermints in my vehicle and crunched on them as I drove kids around. Thankfully (for my teeth and my sugar intake) I no longer do that.
I love this Candycane Cocoa, and was disappointed when I couldn't find it at our local Wal-Mart this year. When I looked into ordering online, I found that the WM just up the road in the next town carries it, so I'm now stocked up. :)


4. Break the ice, on thin ice, as cold as ice (emotionally, not literally)...which phrase have you run into most recently? Explain.
Jim's game day pants are always a great ice breaker, and that proved true in St. Louis last weekend. 

5. Have you ever broken or spilled something in someone else's home? Still friends?
Not that I can recall... but maybe those are the things that you try to block from your memory. There was the time when Jonathan spilled a plate of spaghetti on my mother's kitchen carpet, but that's a story for another day...

6. 'Tis the week before Christmas...are you feeling more like Buddy the Elf or the Grinch before his heart grew?
Not sure I'm feeling like either one at this point. I guess I'm trying to find the Linus attitude and see through the trappings to the true meaning of Christmas.
I do know that when we head for Texas after Christmas with 15 family members, I'll be the mom from Home Alone. Just hope we don't leave anyone behind!

7. Share a favorite quote relating to Christmas.
I am sure I have shared my favorite line from the hymn, In the Bleak Midwinter here before. I especially enjoy Dan Fogelberg's version. Anyone else a Dan Fogelberg fan?
Since I don't want to repeat myself (though it may be way too late for that), I'll share another favorite Christmas quote by the oh-so-wise and clever Dr. Seuss:

8.  Insert your own random thought here.
In ten days, this little girl (my niece, Caroline) is getting married!!
Last week, her mom enlisted the A-Team to help with wedding prep. (I can call us the A-Team, right girls?) We labeled bags and bottles, mixed and bagged snack mix, mixed and bottled beef seasoning rub, mixed, baked and bagged chocolate chip cookies, laughed, sampled, and shared stories as we always do when we are together.
We even started working on the next generation A-Team since Riley and Carter were there to help.
The spice cloud filled the whole house with a savory aroma.
The day went by quickly and the task was light as is often the case when many hands work (and laugh) together. We are so happy for Caroline and Brian, and pray that God will bless them on their wedding day, and all the days ahead.

No comments: