Wednesday, December 4, 2013

In Hodgepodge We Trust

Ready or not, December is here! And so is the Hodgepodge. Please enjoy my answers, then click on the button to visit our hostess Joyce and the others. Be sure to leave some comment love!

Here are her questions and my answers:
1. According to Oxford Dictionaries, the 2013 word of the year is 'selfie'. Your thoughts? When did you last take a selfie? Do you post them online somewhere?  Do you prefer to be in front of the camera or behind the lens?
Selfies have become a thing since most of us carry a camera in our pocket everywhere we go. The younger set (and almost everyone falls into that category from my perspective) is quite talented at taking them, whether in a mirror or at the end of a long arm.

I last took a selfie in New Orleans a couple of weeks ago. I'm not good at it, and I took about twenty several before I finally got an acceptable one. (So many attempts that a kind stranger offered to take it for us.)  :)
I much prefer to be behind the camera instead of in front of it. Jim always says that I'm from one of those tribes that believes that being photographed will steal a part of your soul. I did take a true selfie on the day I got my new glasses. Never before seen by the public. :)
While we are on the topic of photos, if you have never read this article, by Allison Tate, you should. She urges moms everywhere to get in the picture. I didn't do that. For every 3000 or so photos of my kids, there is probably 1 of me. And I'm not alone. Read the follow-up article for responses to her story. And all you young moms, old moms, grannys, sisters, wives, daughters out there? Get in the picture! (And I'll work on taking my own advice.) :)

2. Will you send out Christmas cards this year? If so, are they ready to go? If not, are you glad or sad about leaving that tradition behind?
I love Christmas cards, both the sending and receiving. I like to send a family photo, and we attempted one on Sunday at our Thanksgiving dinner. So they are not ready to go. Lol. I love the tradition.

3. Do you trust easily?
My first instinct is to say yes, of course, I trust easily. And I think I do in that I believe that folks are inherently good, I'm not afraid to stay or travel alone, and I have (inadvertently) left the keys in my car at the Wal-Mart. Ha. That being said, I'm not trusting, as in gullible, and I can usually see through a story or excuse that seems just a little bit too far-fetched. I'm a mom of 5, you know. :)

4. Pine-cinnamon-peppermint-vanilla (as in sugar cookie)...of those listed, which one is your favorite December scent?
Definitely peppermint. I love it all: peppermint ice cream, peppermint oreos, peppermint candles, peppermint hot chocolate, peppermint chapstick, soap, lotion, and plain ol' peppermint candies. Yum!

And I found these a couple of weeks ago. Get 'em now while you still can!!

5. Did you do more talking or more listening yesterday? Was that by choice or necessity?
Yesterday, I spent the day with this little guy. I would say I did more listening, for his sweet coos and babbles, his waking-up fussing, and his impatient cries when he needs his bottle right now. And although he's not too much for conversation yet, I probably did my share of talking as well. :)

6. What's the last song that got stuck in your head? Sorry if it's back there now :  )
Since we saw Wicked last week, I have been humming the tunes in my head. It was the fourth time I've seen it, and it's one of my favorites.

Here's a little clip of one of my favorites from the show, For Good.


7. Which world explorer (in the whole history of the world) would you most like to have traveled with, and why? 
I would like to have traveled with Christopher Columbus in 1503 on his fourth and final voyage to the New World. Headed for Hispaniola, he was blown off course, and came upon a group of three islands to the west. He named them 'Las Tortugas' because of the abundance of turtles surrounding the islands.
It must have been an exciting and breathtaking sight to come upon the beautiful islands later called Cayman. Of course, the accommodations available in 1503 may not have been exactly what I am used to. :)

8.  Insert your own random thought here.
We had a nice Thanksgiving, gathering at my parents' house on Thursday, and again with all our kids at our house on Sunday. Baby Noah and his mommy and daddy stayed with us from Thursday through Sunday. :) I took almost zero pictures but spent lots of time enjoying my blessings. We shared stories, ate too much good food, played games, and watched games, surrounded by the ones we love.

On Sunday, we belatedly celebrated David's birthday with cake and singing.
 Thankful for another year of life and love.
Thankful for family around the table.
 Thankful for the clapping hands of little ones.
 And for a God who loves us more than we can ask or imagine. 

"I am come that they may have life, 
and that they may have it more abundantly." 
~John 10:10b

No comments: