Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Old 100th

This is the 100th edition of the Wednesday Hodgepodge, graciously hosted by our friend (see #7 below) Joyce every week. Congratulations Joyce! It made me remember the organist at our church when I was a child teaching us the Doxology, which she called 'Old 100th' referring to the tune to which it is sung.  
"Praise God from whom all blessings flow..."  
Although I have not participated in all 100 weeks of WHP, I praise God for the hundreds upon hundreds of blessings in my life, and count the Hodgepodge as one of them.

I am praying for all those affected by the storm called Sandy as so many folks will be facing a long road of recovery and rebuilding. The images I see on the television look like something out of a horror movie (see #3 below), but I know they are real, and that the reality is even more devastating than the photos.

In the midst of a storm, I read these words, shared by Ann Voskamp, from Jonathan Edwards:
Your griefs will turn out for your ultimate good.
Your great things can never be grabbed away from you.
The Greatest is still to come.
Amen.

And now, to the questions:

1. What creeps you out?
I have to say needles. Just. Don't. Like them. I especially hate blood tests when they put that little rubber band thingy on your arm and tell you to make a fist. I close my hand, but never, ever squeeze. I know. I'm a big baby.

2. What's your least favorite candy?
I have a hard time thinking of least favorite and candy in the same sentence. I am a candy lover. I haven't met many candies that I don't like. If pushed to choose a least favorite, I will say Mounds. Not a huge coconut fan. Unless it is a pina colada.
Vindale conducts  research on Facebook , and produced this word cloud based on the least favorite candy of Facebook users. The bigger the name of the candy, the more disliked it is. Do you see your least favorite?

3. Are you a fan of scary movies?  What's the scariest movie you've ever seen?
I am not a fan of scary movies. I'm not even a fan of detective shows, or any show in which a dead body appears in the first three minutes. When I hear that ominous music, I hit the remote in search of a Raymond rerun.
When our children were young teens, and past the trick or treating stage, I suggested a movie night with popcorn and scary movies. I think we rented Poltergeist every year because it's the only one I could find in the 'horror' section with a PG rating.
I do remember one year when we had a family outing to the movie theater to see 'The Ring.'
Of course, I think the kids were ages 12-20 by then, so I was the only one scared. What was I thinking?

4. What part of life confuses you the most?
Well, there's math, and the satellite remote, and trying to understand why on earth those people would want to go on Dr. Phil and tell the whole world about their problems. Why??

5. Pumpkin, sunflower, sesame, poppy...what's your favorite seed?
"And now, my beauties, something with poison in it, I think. With poison in it, but attractive to the eye, and soothing to the smell."

"Poppies... Poppies. Poppies will put them to sleep. Sleeeeep. Now they'll sleeeeep!"
 I don't know if poppy is my favorite seed, but that's my favorite movie quote about poppies.

6. Imagine your life ten years from today...what's changed?
Well, I'll be old. Really old. :) Hopefully, (still) enjoying my children and grandchildren, using senior citizen discounts, going on trips, sitting by the lake, and reminiscing about the good old days.

7.  What do you a) love the most and b) like the least about the Hodgepodge?
I love most, the interaction with other bloggers. I find myself referring to other bloggers as 'my friend ____' whom I have never even met in real life, yet still feels like a friend. It's a small world, after all.
I like least, that I don't always have enough time to visit all my friends and share comments.

8.  Insert your own random thought here.
Since today is Halloween, another photo from the archives.
 Adam 3, Jennifer (almost 8),
Jonathan 6, Andrew 9, David (almost 11).

And a poem/finger play, taught to hundreds of students (including me) 
who attended my mom's preschool:

Five little pumpkins, sitting on a gate.
The first one said, "My it's getting late."
The second one said, "There are witches in the air."
The third one said, "I don't care."
The fourth one said, "Let's run and run and run."
The fifth one said, "Get ready for some fun!"
Then whooooo went the wind, and out went the lights,
And the five little pumpkins ran out of sight!

No comments: