Wednesday, January 9, 2013

A Festival of Hodgepodge

Linking up today with Joyce for the Wednesday Hodgepodge. It's a great way to make friends all over the whole wide world wide web. Click on the button to visit Joyce after you enjoy my answers.


1. What is ONE thing or area in your home or life you hope to report is completely organized when 2013 draws to a close?  Do you  have a plan to make it happen?
Well, I didn't really have an organization goal for this year, but this question made me think I should come up with  one. Sooooo... I think a really great goal would be to work on the upstairs bedrooms, previously occupied by little ones who are now big ones, and mostly living elsewhere. Said rooms are still filled with childhood and teenage memorabilia which needs to be sorted, boxed and bestowed upon the rightful owners. Then, said rooms could become more comfortable areas for grown-up guests. We'll see how this goes...

2. What's the worst uniform you've ever had to wear for a job?
I've never had to wear a uniform for a job, unless you count the denim or khaki or chambray (remember that?) jumpers that teachers wore in the 90s.

3. What was your last kitchen 'mishap'?  This question comes to you courtesy of Betty who blogs over at A Glimpse Into Midlife...everyone go say hi to Betty!
I try to avoid kitchen mishaps by avoiding the kitchen. :) My last 'mishap' was a boxed bread mix that didn't really rise. Probably due to my subpar kneading skills. I never saw the need for learning to knead. (Sorry for that.)

4. How do you protect yourself from other people's negativity?
I think of my favorite Barney Stinson quote:

5. Who in your family do you most resemble (physically)? If you have children, who do people say they favor? Do you agree?
I don't think I look exactly like either of my parents. It's always interesting to learn about the resemblances others see in parents and children. It seems like different people can see entirely different features, often dependent on previous relationships with the family. I think our children favor their dad. Especially that fourth child. :)

6. January 8th is National Bubble Bath Day...will you be celebrating?
Nope, I'm a shower girl. But here's a sweet vintage photo of a little bubble bath girl.

7.  Some of the 'world's best winter festivals' are - Mardi Gras (New Orleans),Quebec Winter Festival (Canada), Sundance Film Festival (Park City, Utah),  Rio Carnivale (Brazil), Sapporo Snow Festival (Japan), Venice Carnivale(Italy) and the Harbin Ice Festival (Northern China).  Of those listed (and if cost were not a factor) which would you most like to attend and why?
Mardi Gras, of course. The beads, the beignets,  the Brees... and floats like this one. Love.

And in case you haven't seen this adorable commercial... take a look.

8.  Insert your own random thought here.
My word for the year is FAITH.

I was struggling to select a word, and had considered several options, when one of my Facebook friends posted Lamentations 3:22-23:
Because of the Lord's great love, we are not consumed,
for his compassions never fail. 
They are new every morning, great is your faithfulness. (NIV)

Then I read this post, by Ann Voskamp. "Fear is the first step into faith."

At the same time, my book club was reading A Prayer for Owen Meany, by John Irving. A very good book, all about faith. "Faith takes practice," says Owen Meany.

And finally, I visited the Caring Bridge site of my friend Ruthann, and the background, in big letters, says FAITH.

Now I know I can be a little slow sometimes, but I think it's pretty clear that there's a theme here. It will be a year of trying to focus on faith. Gratitude for the Lord's great faithfulness, practicing my own, and pushing through fear to faith. Faith steps out of the boat. 

No comments: