Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Postcards from the Hodgepodge

It's fair week here in our little town, which means hot days, fun food, and spending time in a cattle barn. You can read about the cattle show here. While I don't spend as much time at the fairgrounds as I did back when our kids were 4-Hers, I am happy to have a grandson involved, and I always enjoy seeing the kids and their projects. It's a good thing.

Now, since it's Wednesday, I have a little Hodgepodge for you. Be sure to visit our hostess, Joyce, by clicking on the button below. You can also make friends with the other folks who have linked to her site today. It's great fun!
Here are her questions, and my answers. Enjoy!

1. Picture postcards were first printed back in the mid-1800's and deltiology is the official name for postcard collecting. When did you last send a postcard?  Receive one? Do you save postcards sent to you? Do you collect and/or send postcards when you travel?

It has been many years since I have sent a postcard. I do remember that when my family vacationed, I loved to select and send postcards to friends, family, or anyone I could think of. My parents let me choose the cards, and I took great care in selecting the perfect ones to send. Back then, you could buy 5 for a quarter (or something like that), so they were not expensive to send, and made a great souvenir to keep.
Interestingly, I received a postcard yesterday from Bridget, who we help support in her work with Campus Crusade for Christ. She is in Colorado at a training conference. Prior to that, we received a postcard last year in April, from Jennifer and Bryan while they were honeymooning on Grand Cayman. Do I save them? Well, yes, I guess I do. :)
I don't collect or send them when I travel any more. All those pretty scenery photos are available with the click of a mouse, and a text message or email is guaranteed to arrive before you return from the trip.

2. What treat do you most like to indulge in while on vacation?
Nice hotels, good food, and sleeping in. That would be treats, plural.


3. Are you good at hiding your feelings?
Well, yes, I guess I am. But you can never tell. :)

4. Does your town/city/county still deliver telephone books to your home? Do you check the yellow pages when searching for a local business number or has the internet replaced the phone book in your home?
We still receive telephone books, and I do still, sometimes, use them. I do find myself overrun with phone books from time to time, since I often add the new ones to the pile rather than dispose of the old ones. I remember keeping one in the car with me after I got my first 'car phone.' It was a big ol' thing in a bag that plugged in to the cigarette lighter. No internet. No text messaging. No GPS. Just. A. Phone. And I thought I was Jane Jetson. Now if only I could get one of those robot housekeepers to dispose of the old phone books. :)


5. Would you rather be first or last?
Oh, well, of course, that depends. To give an oral book report? Last. Pick in Fantasy Football draft? First. In line at the BMV? First. I guess, for the most part, it's best to be first. Except, of course, when it's better to be last. 
And then there's the scripture found in Matthew 20:16: "So the last will be first, and the first will be last." 
I'm so confused.


6. July is National Park and Recreation Month (in America, but everyone can still play along)...where and when were you last in a park?  Did you participate in any recreational activities while you were there?
We have a couple of nice parks in our little town, but the last time I remember being in a park was last October when we visited Rocky Mountain National Park in Colorado. The recreational activities in which we participated were hiking from the parking area to Bear Lake, and taking photographs. Oh, and trying to keep warm!

7.  What was one of your worst ideas?
Two things come to mind:

1. Spanish Bay Getaway
2. Let's get an exchange student. From France.

8.  Insert your own random thought here.
Heather and Scott welcomed their baby girl, Payton, to the world yesterday. Our daughter Jennifer and Heather have been friends since kindergarten.
Jennifer and I went to see her when she was just a little over 12 hours old. So sweet! Jennifer took a few photos while we were there. 

 Congratulations Heather and Scott! She is beautiful!
What's even more fun, is that Jennifer and Bryan will welcome their little one in just about 6 weeks.
I call this photo 'two friends and a baby.' :)

No comments: