Wednesday, August 14, 2013

And They Called it.. the Hodgepodge

Time for another edition of the world famous Wednesday Hodgepodge. We do enjoy gathering each week to answer the questions Joyce has prepared for us. She likes to make us think. Be sure to click the button to visit her blog, and while you're there leave her a comment. You can also visit the others who have participated in the Hodgepodge today.

Here are her questions and my answers:
1. My daughter earned her Master's Degree this past weekend...what's something you've 'mastered' in recent weeks or months?
First of all, congratulations to your daughter! As to the question, I'm more of a jack of all trades, master of none kind of girl. I guess I did master my six month term on a federal grand jury that ended in July. By the end of the term, my fellow jurors and I had learned much about the federal court system, gained a new appreciation for hard-working law enforcement agents and attorneys, and made new friends from all over the southern district of the state. We met for two days, every other week, and heard 4-5 cases a day. We did not decide guilt or innocence, but rather considered whether there was enough evidence for an indictment. My eyes were certainly opened to things that I never knew or imagined are happening just a little way down the road. It was an interesting and rewarding experience, and I am grateful for the opportunity to have served.
Most of the jurors shared lunch together on our last day, and posed for this photo on the circle.

2. What song most reminds you of your childhood?
If I were to hear Donny Osmond's Puppy Love, I would immediately be taken back to the 16 hour car ride to Florida when I played it on my little cassette player. Over and over and over. All. The. Way. To. Florida. And they called it... Puppy Loooovvvve...

3. What do you think about single gender groups and/or events? Should everygroup/event be open to both genders?  If not, what sort of exceptions do you think are appropriate? 
I think we sometimes get just a little too hung up on making sure no one is ever left out. I think single gender groups are just fine, especially when a group has been designed for either men or women. Just relax people.

4. What's your favorite spice? Your favorite dish containing your favorite spice?
Um, what else? Cinnamon. As in cinnamon rolls.

5.  I saw this question on Marla's facebook page and asked if I could steal borrow it for the Hodgepodge... thanks, Marla!

Chevron patterns are everywhere!  Do you like it or think its just a little too much? Do you own anything 'chevron'? 
I like it! I think it's fun. I have a chevron scarf, and I like the bit of chevron Jennifer has used in the nursery. Just a couple more weeks before we meet baby Davis!

And these cute little girls wear chevron well, don't you think?

6.  What's something you disliked as a child, but can fully appreciate now?
Oh, I don't know... rules? bedtime? curfew? I do appreciate them now, and, of course, I implemented them with our kids. I honestly don't think I even minded them that much when I was a child. I was very obedient. :) I do remember being caught under the covers with a book and a flashlight long after I was supposed to be asleep. Several times. Such a rebel! 

7. What can irritate you very quickly?
The guy at Best Buy telling me the new iPhone I ordered had been cancelled. And sent to West Virginia. Just a little. Bit. Irritated.

8.  Insert your own random thought here.
School has started here, and grandson Matthew is into his second week as a fourth grader.
Granddaughter Haleigh started preschool yesterday. 
School days, school days, dear old golden rule days. :)

No comments: