Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Hanging Out at the Hodgepodge

It's a Wednesday Hodgepodge kind of day, so join in the fun by enjoying the questions and my answers, then clicking over to visit Joyce and the others.

Here we go!
1. What's your worst food memory?  How about one of your best?
When we were first married, and living in our tiny married student housing apartment, I attempted to fix liver for my new husband. You see, he claimed to  like liver, and I was trying to please him with my mad culinary skills. He soon learned that I, in fact, had no culinary skills. (Still don't.) I found a recipe for barbequed liver in the crock pot. This sounded desirable because 1. tossing liver in the crock pot seemed way preferable to actually touching it, and 2. smothering that slimy stuff with barbecue sauce would surely make it taste better, right? Apparently not. First and last time I ever fixed liver. 

The best food memories for me are often tied to the event and the people with whom the meal is shared. One of my best food memories was the beautiful dinner we shared in celebration of the marriage of Bryan and Jennifer.
The room was beautiful,
 the main course was delicious,
 and the cake was lovely.
Just like the happy young couple.

2. Do you appreciate people telling it like it is, or would you rather a speaker temper his/her words and maybe beat around the bush a little?  How about when you're the one communicating...which type are you?
I appreciate a person telling it like it is, but it is always good to remember to be kind. When in doubt, I try to err on the side of keeping my mouth shut. Try. That being said, we have all said or done things that came out all wrong, despite the best of intentions. That's when we rely on grace. Giving and receiving.

3. What's your favorite place to hang out?
This place. I may have mentioned it before. :)

4. When do you most feel like you're a slave to time?
Thankfully, I don't feel like that much any more, but when the kids were little I felt like there were so many days when all I said was "hurry up, hurry now, hurry, hurry, hurry!" I wish I would have known then what I know now. That, in the sweet words of Ann Voskamp, "Life is not an emergency."


5. What was the last concert you attended?  Who'd you go with? Was it any good?
The last concert I attended was to hear our friend Sandi. Sandi Patty, that is. We always like to call her our friend. We go way back. To the days of the Friendship Company and AU convocations and singing along to her cassette tapes in the van.
Jim and I went with our friends Daryl and Ruthann. You can read about it here.
And yes, it was good. She's Sandi. Our friend. :) (Well, she would be our friend, if she actually knew us.)
Here's an old photo of Sandi and me at Women of Faith, back when we were younger. Lol.

6. Reality TV...harmful or harmless?  What's your guilty pleasure when it comes to reality TV?
Meh. I'm kind of indifferent. Watch it. Or not. I don't think I have a guilty pleasure when it comes to reality TV. Unless you count football. :)

7. What's something you think is overrated?
I don't know, reality TV?

8.  Insert your own random thought here.
Our dear friend Ruthann (in the pink hat) went to Houston this week, and had a great report from the doctor there. PRAISE GOD! Please join me in prayer and praise as they travel home today. God is good... all the time.

"The Lord is my strength and my shield; my heart trusts in him, and he helps me. My heart leaps for joy, and with my song I praise him." ~Psalm 28:6-8

P.S.  Waiting to welcome our new grandchild sometime today! Can't wait to meet him/her! Join me in praying for mama, baby, and daddy too!

No comments: