Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Hungry Hungry Hodgepodge

I am glad to have the time to participate in the Wednesday Hodgepodge this week. During a week of giving thanks, I am thankful for the opportunity to share my thoughts and photos on this blog, and I am thankful for Joyce who hosts this little cyber shindig each Wednesday. Be sure to click on the button to visit her at From This Side of the Pond, then check out the rest of today's group of Hodgepodgers.

Now for her questions and my answers:

1. Are you settling for something?
I am settling for life in the small midwest community in which I was born, where we greet our friends at the grocery and are safe to leave our keys in the ignition (true story). I'm settling for loving the same man for 32 years, and for living in the home his grandparents built on the family farm. I am settling for not listing my greatest accomplishment as fame or fortune, but rather as the blessing of being Mom to our children. I am settling for a life of learning to love and laugh and forgive, to give and receive, to hurt and to heal, and to give thanks to God for his unfailing grace. I'll settle for that any day.

2.  It wasn't that long ago almost every store in the US locked doors and turned out lights on Thanksgiving Day. This year many will be open all day Thursday, giving shoppers a jump start on 'Black Friday'. In your opinion is this a good thing or a not so good thing? Will you be shopping on Thanksgiving Day?
I will not be shopping on Thanksgiving Day, or on Black Friday for that matter. In fact, I recently stated that you couldn't pay me to shop on Black Friday. I prefer to stay far, far away from the Friday frenzy and let my fingers do the clicking when at all possible. While in my younger day, I was an enthusiastic and savvy shopper, I have eagerly embraced internet shopping in my old age. :) The traffic, the rushing, the crowds, oh my! For those of you brave enough to venture out on Thursday or Friday, may the force be with you. :)

3. Speaking of shopping... I saw a recent article on the twelve best shopping cities in the world. In order they are-

New York, Tokyo, London, Kuala Lumpur, Paris, Hong Kong, Buenos Aires, Vienna, Dubai, Madrid, Milan, and Seoul. 

Ever shopped in any of the cities listed? In which city would you most like to pull out the plastic or cold hard cash?
I have not shopped in any of those cities. I would love to visit any of them, but I think I would most like to pull out the plastic in London. (Field trip, Joyce? Lol.)

4.  When did you last dine by candlelight?
We enjoyed a candlelight dinner a couple of weeks ago in New Orleans. This photo is of Bananas Foster Bread Pudding at Irene's Cuisine. Yum.

5. What do you have too much of?
Stuff. Waaaaayyy. Too. Much. Stuff.

6. The Hunger Games...are you a fan?  Did you read the book(s)?  Will you/have you seen the movie?  Will you/have you seen Catching Fire?  No spoilers please!
I did read the books, and I liked them. As I often find with books in a series, I enjoyed the first book the most, and the second and third books a little less. I'm not sure why this happens with me, although it may be just too much of a similar theme.

I enjoyed the first movie, and will probably see the second when it comes out on DVD. I have heard that the scenery is outstanding (it was filmed in Hawaii), and that the movie is a long one.

7. Share your plans for Thanksgiving Day. The who, the where, the what...especially the what! As in what's for dinner?  If you're one of my International visitors, whose homeland doesn't celebrate American Thanksgiving (the whole world doesn't ya know!), then still tell us your plans for Thursday. 
We will have our Thanksgiving meal with all the kids on Sunday. We will feast on beef tenderloin, mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes, salad, rolls, and an assortment of pies. Beef. It's what's for Thanksgiving. Everyone knows that, right?

On Thursday, we will go to my parents' home for a Thanksgiving buffet and the traditional family, food, and football.

8.  Insert your own random thought here.
Last week, after we got home from New Orleans, I was off bright and early to watch Jennifer and Bryan's baby, Noah while they went to work. I also got to take this little cutie, Andrew and Darci's daughter, Ella with me to spend the day with Baby Noah. She looks pretty happy for 6 am, doesn't she?
She enjoyed reading a book to Noah.
We also made a little trip to Target. Everyone loves Target.
Ella loved hanging out with Baby Noah. Not sure he knew quite what to think of her. :)
Hopefully, she didn't try to feed him any of her M&Ms.
She found his little crocheted boots and decided she should try them on for size.
It was a good day. And every day is a good day when spent with grandchildren. :)

No comments: