Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Pennies on the Hodgepodge

It's Wednesday, it's February, it's another cold day, and it's time for the Hodgepodge. Thanks to Joyce for hosting the party. It may be cold outside, but there's lots of warmth among friends here at the Hodgepodge. Click on the button below for a taste of the warm hospitality.
Here are my answers to Joyce's questions:

1.What makes love last?

Mutual respect, trust, forgiveness, loyalty, laughter, gratitude, prayer. And more prayer. I learned that there are many books written on this topic, and I found a quote, by John Gottman that states, "Loyalty is about nurturing gratitude for what you have." I agree.
I wrote posts in celebration of our 29th and 30th wedding anniversaries with a few more thoughts about what makes love last. A sense of humor. :)

2. The Beatles made their US debut fifty years ago this week. Are you a fan? If so, what's your favorite Beatles tune?

I remember learning to sing "She loves you, yeah, yeah, yeah..", and "I want to hold your hand…" when I was 4 or 5, and I liked the Beatles, but I wouldn't say that I was ever a big fan. (Not a screaming and fainting kind of fan anyway.) I did know they were a big deal. We sang some of their classic songs in high school show choir (our group was called Silhouettes and Shadows), and I like 'Penny Lane', 'Ob-La-Di, Ob, La, Da', and 'With a Little Help From My Friends' because of singing them back then. I also remember a performance when one of the guys in the group was singing 'Michelle' and tried to sing the French without actually knowing the words. The rest of us had to fight to keep from cracking up. 

3. Valentine's Day-your thoughts? Do you celebrate in any way? Do anything special for the people you love? Expect anything special from the people who love you?

I'm happy to celebrate Valentine's Day. Or not. Dinner out is always fun. Cards are nice, if there's time, and you find a good one. It's nice to be remembered, and surprises are always fun. I hope my loved ones know I love them whether I send a Valentine or not. Because I do. 

4. Steak or burger...you have to choose. Now that that's settled, how do you like it? 

Steak.
 And burgers.
I won't choose.
Grilled, medium rare, from our freezer. With my people.

5. The Hodgepodge lands on the birthdate (February 12th) of Abraham Lincoln, 16th President of the United States of America. Lincoln is quoted as saying, 'Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test his character give him power.'  Do you agree? Why or why not?

Abe Lincoln was a wise man. I do agree, because I believe that power (fame, fortune) presents a person with challenges that can be difficult to balance. It surely is a test of character.

Speaking of characters (how's that for transition?), I thought I would include an Abe Lincoln related photo (surprise surprise). This was taken during the summer of our southern Indiana history tour before David's 4th grade year. We visited the Lincoln Boyhood National Memorial in Lincoln City, Indiana, and then enjoyed the play, 'Young Abe Lincoln' at the Lincoln Amphitheater. This 'Abe' visited with the crowd before the show. I like how no one in the picture seems quite ready for it. :) (And don't you think those shirts I stenciled would be Pinterest-worthy?)
What I remember most about the show was that after the cast took their bows, they invited the crowd to feel free to come down and visit with the actors before leaving. Jennifer (first grade) ran straight down to the stage to greet the young woman who played Abe's sister Sarah. Jennifer was always ready to meet a new friend!

6. Honest Abe's image is featured on the US penny (1 cent coin) so I'm wondering...what do you do with your pennies (or your country's equivalent)?  It's been suggested the US stop making the penny, and two bills have been introduced proposing just that, but neither were approved. What say you?

When I was in high school, my Uncle Bill gave me a large antique glass jug, similar to this one, to fill with pennies.
Mine is probably 2 feet tall, and, of course, he started me with a few pennies (maybe $10 worth), that barely covered the bottom. The jug still sits in my room at my parents' house, and I think my dad still goes upstairs and deposits pennies in it from time to time. it's probably over halfway full, and I've had it for over 35 years. Maybe one of these days we should count the pennies and buy a new car! Or at lease a new set of tires. Lol.
I kind of like those little pennies with Honest Abe's image. I say keep them!

7.  Do you think pop culture deserves serious study?

I always like the pop culture questions in Trivial Pursuit or other such games. I think there are valuable lessons to be learned from the study of almost anything.

8. Insert your own random thought here.

Happy Birthday today to my friend Ann. She shares a birthday with Abe (which has always been cool), and we have shared fun and life since our days in nursery school.
We danced together, sang together, went to camp together, took vacations together, shopped together, went to college together, and still have fun together when life allows.
Happy Birthday, old friend! (Fifty years of friendship earns us the 'old' word, like it or not.)

1 comment:

Joyce said...

Just hopped over to see the new look : ) I love it! Looks fab! Enjoy your weekend!