Wednesday, September 26, 2012

A Hodgepodge a Day...

Actually, it's a Hodgepodge a week, and Wednesday has come around once again. Join us as we share a slice of our lives by answering Joyce's questions. Click on the button below to visit Joyce and the others, and be sure to scatter some comments here and there along the way!


1. The Wednesday Hodgepodge this week falls on John Chapman's birth date.  He's more famously known as Johnny Appleseed...what's your favorite variety of apple?

Ah, Johnny Appleseed. He's well known around these parts. He gets a small chapter in the Indiana history books, as he spent much of his life in Indiana, Ohio, and Illinois, selling apple seeds to the settlers, and planting them as he walked, often barefoot, with only the supplies he could carry on his back.
He died, at the age of 70, near Fort Wayne, Indiana, and was buried there. There is a memorial park with a gravesite marker, where they have a festival in his honor every fall.

We visited the park with the kids on one of our Indiana history vacations, in 1993.

The marker says, "He Lived for Others."

I also love the Johnny Appleseed blessing song, that we sang at camp when I was a teen. We sang it when my high school friends got together a couple years ago. (And yes, we still remembered the words.) It's a good one.

Oh, the Lord is good to me,
And so I thank the Lord
For giving me the things I need
The sun, and the rain, and the apple seed.
The Lord is good to me.


This cabin is near the gravesite marker. Jennifer, age 8, David, age 11, Jonathan, age 6, Adam, age 3, and Andrew, age 9.

Oh, and my favorite apple? Well, Jonathan has always been the apple lover in the family. I think it's due to his name. He has always been partial to Jonagolds (of course), but we have discovered Honeycrisps, and they are our new favorites.


2.   When did you last say 'ick'?
When Jim suggested eating at McDonald's in the DFW airport. Sorry McD's lovers.

3.   Do you think there's a generation gap?  Explain.
I believe the younger generation often thinks they have found a better way to do something. Sometimes it's true. I also believe that we can all learn from those who have gone before us, and there is no better teacher than experience. When I see my 92-year-old mother-in-law playing Words With Friends on her iPad with her grandchildren, it makes me think there really isn't that much of a gap at all.

4.  What's on your computer screen saver?  Do you leave it alone or change it often?
I have had a picture of Drew Brees, holding up his son Baylen, as my screen saver since the Saints won the Super Bowl in 2010. You can imagine my surprise when I came home one day, and Baylen's face was replaced by our son Adam's. Someone's been messin' with my computer!

I've left it that way because it still makes me smile. 



5.  If you had the attention of the entire world for two minutes, what would you say?
Oh, my, I'm not really that comfortable speaking in front of large crowds. How about "Be kind to one another."

6.  Four fashion trends to try this fall are-brocade/jacquard (fancy printed fabrics), peplum, lace, and printed pants...which of these four would you be most likely to wear?
Well, I'm not sure about my own choice, but my husband is rockin' the printed pants with his new friend he met in the tailgate lot at the Superdome. We found them at a shop in NOLA, but they are available here if you decide you might want some. Women's sizes too!

7.  What can make your bad day better?
A happy nap.

8.  Insert your own random thought here.
Those of you who read my blog know that I like football. Even after a long day of travel on Monday, I stayed up late to watch the end of the Monday Night Football game. And what an ending it was! In case you have been living under a rock (or just ignore sports completely), and haven't heard, the NFL referees are on strike, and they are using 'replacement refs.' Now I'm sure they are very nice guys, trying their best to do a good job in a new situation, but they are really struggling. The end of the Packers/Seahawks game on Monday has caused an uproar heard 'round the world. I know, another first world problem.

So, since we need to hear one more parody of Carly Rae Jepson's song 'Call Me Maybe', here's the latest, dedicated to the NFL replacement refs.


Happy Wednesday!

No comments: