Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Grow With the Hodgepodge

Wednesday is here, and it's time for the Hodgepodge. We had a busy and fun (although wet, thanks to Isaac), Labor Day weekend, but I didn't take any pictures. Sometimes it's nice just to live the days, rather than document the days. Click on the Hodgepodge button to visit our hostess, Joyce, and link up to join the fun.

1. In your opinion what's the most important job in the world? Oh, and parenting is a given so besides parenting, what's the most important job in the world?
The world has lots of important jobs in it. Teaching is important, farming is important, scientific research is important. I'm going to say the most important job is that of the doctor who is taking care of my loved one who is sick or injured.

2. Share a favorite or not so favorite memory from a childhood birthday.
For my 10th birthday, my mom planned a reenactment of the wedding of Tiny Tim and Miss Vicki, which had taken place on The Tonight Show Starring Johnny Carson just a month earlier. It was watched by 21.4 million viewers that night.

At the party, my 10-year old friends and I all drew for parts in the 'production.' We had costumes, brief instructions, and a rehearsal. Then we were ready for the filming of the 'wedding.' Of course, home movies at that time didn't have sound, so it was a silent movie. Probably just as well. :)
My brother was in charge of the title frame. He also appeared in the movie as the pianist.

I was the mother of the groom. My job was crying into my handkerchief. I couldn't find the actual photographs from the party (probably at my mom's somewhere), but I do have the movie, which has been transferred to dvd. I took these pictures with my phone from the tv. Tiny Tim couldn't even imagine that kind of technology.
Way back then, film had to be developed, so we hosted a follow-up movie night a few weeks later to watch ourselves on the big screen. Yes, we set up a screen, and played the movie film on a projector. With popcorn, of course.

3. Peanut butter-crunchy or smooth?
There was a time in my life that I preferred crunchy, but I now choose smooth. The homemade PB in Haiti is delicious.

4. William Butler Yeats is credited as saying, "Happiness is neither virtue nor pleasure nor this thing nor that but simply growth, We are happy when we are growing." Your thoughts?
I agree. And that growth/happiness often follows being in an uncomfortable place, even a painful one. This is especially true in relationships. Spouse, family, friends, co-workers can all stretch us to a point where we feel like breaking. This is the point where we can make a choice to give up or grow through it. And it is always worth it to go through the growing pains to the reward of relationship. We need each other. And we never stop growing. (I just wish the growing didn't include my hips. Lol.)
I love the song, by JJ Heller, called Grow. You can listen here.
Don't be afraid to let your feelings show
If we dry up, then we won't grow.
5. What's something that makes you cringe?
Of course, fingernails on a chalkboard, but also, OR scenes on Grey's Anatomy (thankfully, I can usually anticipate when to close my eyes), daredevil boys (and Shelly) going off the high dock or the rope swing at the lake, and tv shows with a dead body in the first 5 minutes (the music usually alerts me to change the channel before the body appears). Give me a something to laugh at, like a Raymond rerun. :)

6. Name a song that always puts you in a good mood?
Sometimes, I like to go with my first thought when I read Joyce's questions. For this one, interestingly, the first song I thought of was 'Top of the World' by the Carpenters. Isn't that weird? It's definitely not a song I hear often, and it was originally recorded when I was 12. It is certainly a 'good mood song' though, and there aren't many voices like that of Karen Carpenter.

7. The answer is yes. What's the question?
Would you marry him again?

8. Insert your own random thought here.
 My Wednesdays include, not only the Hodgepodge, but also a visit from these little girls. It's always a great day when I get to spend time with my grandchildren. Last Wednesday, they spent a little time outside.
 There was only a tiny bit of water in the bottom of the bucket, but it was fun to check it out.
 Before I know it, they'll be able to fill the bucket and carry it to the barn for me!
 Because, in the words of Raffi (and since we have a bit of a 'growing' theme today), Everything Grows.



Have a great Wednesday!

No comments: