Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Hut Hut Hodgepodge!

Wednesday is here, and that means it's time for the Hodgepodge. I am thankful to Joyce for hosting this fun little party, and giving us food for thought each week. Be sure to click on the button to pay her a visit!


1.  ARE YOU READY FOR SOME FOOTBALL?  The NFL is back in action along with all the college teams.  Are you a fan?  Who do you root for?  If you're not a fan what do you do while the rest of America watches Saturday, Sunday, Monday night, and now Thursday night games?
Oh my yes. And yes. In answer to the first two questions. And I think I will assume that Joyce wrote this question just for me. :)
I root for Purdue. My alma mater. I married into a Purdue family, and have proudly embraced it, especially the football part. At home games, you will find us in the tailgate lot cooking up delicious pancakes for breakfast, juicy burgers for lunch, and proudly supporting our Boilers.
 And, well, there's also this guy. He played for Purdue.
 Took us to the Rose Bowl.
Oh yes he did.
He also signed some autographs. For a little boy with a broken arm. Two in fact - autographs that is - one on the cast and one on the jersey. (And later, on the photo of him autographing the jersey.)
And he still plays football. And now I root for his new team. You might remember this sweet photo of Drew Brees and his son Baylen after they won the SUPER BOWL! Who Dat!!! (Yes, I took a picture of the TV.)
And he's still signing autographs for little boys.
 Even those without broken arms.
So yes, I'm ready for some football. And I'll be seeing the Saints play twice in person this year. Who Dat!!

2. What's something I'll always find in your closet?
Old clothes, new clothes, clothes that fit, and clothes that don't. Oh, and lots of shoes. Not well organized.

3. Share one of your earliest memories.
One of my earliest memories was when I was in my Aunt Jane's wedding. I thought I was pretty special to have such an important job dropping petals down the aisle. My little lace basket hung in my room as a decoration for many years after.

4. What circus act best describes your week so far?
Not too much of a circus around here so far this week. I guess it would be some kind of equestrian act since I showed our 30-year-old horse and explained the use of a bit and bridle to our pastor and his 6-year-old son.
I never think of a circus without thinking of the story of Modoc the Elephant. When my mom was 7 years old, an elephant got loose from the circus in her small town of Wabash, Indiana. Legend has it that Modoc ran to the downtown area, right into the corner drugstore where she smelled peanuts roasting. After helping herself to some peanuts, she exited the store via the back door. She roamed the town for 5 days before she was caught. Today there is a market located in the building, and named for the famous elephant.

5. What's a food you disliked as a child but you love now?
I never liked sour cream on my baked potato, but I do enjoy it now. And not just on baked potatoes.

6.  Describe your summer in three words.
Gone too soon.

7.  Where were you on September 11, 2001? Will you do anything special to mark the day this year?
I was teaching Reading Recovery to first graders, and about to start with my first student of the morning. One of the first grade teachers came to the door of the tiny room where I taught my lessons to tell me we were under attack. Not sure what she meant, I went to the teachers' lounge and then to the cafeteria, where someone had turned on a TV. A few of us who weren't responsible for a classroom of students watched in horror and disbelief as the second plane hit, and then the tower fell. Many parents came to pick up their children early that day. Our oldest was a freshman at Purdue, and I remember calling him later just to hear his voice. I also remember trying to find out the location of our nephew, a pilot for American Airlines. He was safe.
I didn't do anything special to mark the day, but I thought I would share this photo, taken by another nephew who lives and works in NYC.

8.  Insert your own random thought here.
Thinking about our first tailgate of the season, coming up on Saturday, I found these two cute and yummy sounding recipes. On Pinterest, of course. 

This one is from Dorothy at Crazy for Crust. Peanut Butter Football Dip. Oh. My. Word.

 This little cutie is a Chocolate Peanut Butter Football, and involves peanut butter, rice crispies, and chocolate. Oh. My. Word. Again. Found this one on Food Mayhem. Now to decide which one to try....


Do you have any tried and true all time favorite tailgating recipes? I would love to hear about them!
Have a great Wednesday!

No comments: