Tuesday, October 15, 2013

100 Holes for Haiti

Back in June (seems so long ago) I wrote about David and Jonathan's plan to play 100 holes of golf in one day. They did it to raise money for Haiti, and called their project '100 Holes for Haiti.' Several members of our family have had the opportunity to travel to the mountain community of Fondwa, Haiti with Family Health Ministries. David and Jon decided to utilize their love of golf as a way to support the Fondwa community. The money they raised will go to build a home for a family in  Fondwa.

Since my friend Jamalyn is in Haiti this week, I thought I would do a recap post of the '100 Holes' event. And if you are so inclined, please offer a prayer for Jamalyn and her team as they work to complete their projects in Fondwa this week. They will be taking school pictures, building furniture for the new school, and putting a roof on a house. Bondye bon!

I did not attend the event (15 hours of watching golf is a little much for me, even if my own sons are playing), so all the photos were taken by their one-woman support team, David's wife, Shylah.

They started at daybreak, teeing off at the beautiful Miami Valley Golf Club in Dayton, Ohio.
Prior to the golf, they sent an email to family and friends, requesting support for the project. They were happy to have per-hole pledges or just a flat donation. They also asked that we consider an extra donation per birdie, eagle or hole-in-one.
Two other members of MVGC played for Haiti that day too, and helped contribute to the cause. Unfortunately, we didn't get a photo of them.
The sun's a little brighter in this shot.
Here is Jon doing his best imitation of Michelle Wie's table top putting stance. Not easy for a big guy like him.
Here they are at the 50 hole mark. They showered after the fourth round, changed shirts a couple times, and changed shoes and socks several times.
At the end of the day, they had played 6 rounds of 18 holes plus 2 additional holes for 110 total. They WALKED all 110 holes, and Jonathan CARRIED his bag for 90 of those. (And he had the blisters to prove it!) I did not have to pay either of them the $5000 bonus I had pledged for a hole-in-one. :) Maybe next time.
As it was, they raised almost $4500 for Family Health Ministries to use in Fondwa, Haiti, and surpassed their goal of 100 holes.
David's scorecard documents each hole played. I'm so proud of their determination and dedication to their game of golf, but mostly of their spirit of generosity and creativity in completing a project to benefit our friends in Haiti.

35 For I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me drink, I was a stranger and you welcomed me, 36 I was naked and you clothed me, I was sick and you visited me, I was in prison and you came to me.’ 37 Then the righteous will answer him, saying, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you drink? 38 And when did we see you a stranger and welcome you, or naked and clothe you? 39 And when did we see you sick or in prison and visit you?’ 40 And the King will answer them, ‘Truly, I say to you, as you did it to one of the least of these my brothers, you did it to me.’
Matthew 25:35-40

No comments: