Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Dear Old Hodgepodge

It's Wednesday again, and that means time for the Hodgepodge. As always, thanks to Joyce for the questions, and to you for stopping by. Leave me a comment, then click on over to visit Joyce and the others.
1. What do you think makes a good dad?
Presence...
patience...
and prayers. And my children were blessed with a very good dad.

2. What's something you learned from your own father?
From my dad, I learned to love animals, to love sports, and to balance a checkbook. Well, two out of three ain't bad. :)

3. It's your birthday-what kind of cake will we be having?
I have loved cake from a very early age.
 I especially loved the creative cakes my mom made for my birthdays.
I like most all kinds of cakes, but especially something with chocolate. Like maybe this cake that Darci made for last weekend. Did I mention that it was amazing?

4. When you're faced with a big decision are you more of a go with your gut type of person, or are you someone who reasons it all out, weighing the pros and cons?
I weigh the pros and cons, then go with my gut. I am usually fairly quick at making decisions, but I am also thorough with my research.  

5. June is National Dairy Month. What's your favorite dairy item? Most often purchased dairy item?
If we are speaking of National Dairy Month, I have to choose a chocolate milk shake from the Dairy Bar at the Indiana State Fair. You can't get more dairy than that. Of course, I also like a good old Blizzard from Dairy Queen.
Most often purchased dairy item? It still has to be milk, though our milk intake has decreased over the years. I used to by 4 gallons at a time, at least 2 times per week. One grocery clerk once asked me if I had a day care. Well, yes, I guess you could say that. :)

6. Explorer Jacques Cousteau was born on June 11, 1910....what's something you've recently discovered or something you'd like to explore?
I recently discovered a new-to-me store in our little town, with another location in the next town over. It's called Picker's Paradise, and is like a flea market/antique mall, with an ever changing inventory of all kinds of interesting treasures at reasonable prices. It's a fun place to explore.

7. Are you typical of your generation?
I think I am typical of my generation, whatever 'typical' means. My name alone make me typical, since there were 4 'Susans' in my kindergarten class. It's not a name you hear much these days. I feel like I am currently a typical empty nester/mom of grown-up kids/granny.

8. Insert your own random thought here.

On Monday, our sons David and Jonathan will be attempting a golf marathon to support Family Health Ministries. This is the organization with whom we have traveled to Haiti over the last several years. David and Jon have organized this event to combine their love of golf with the opportunity to give to others. (Any excuse to play a round - or four.) Lol.

Jonathan posted this on his Facebook page:
FHM is a Christian ministry... that supports communities in Haiti in their efforts to build and sustain healthy families. The money we raise will directly support the building of a house for a family in Fondwa. I have attached a few pictures and this link to a video of the family in need. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRJcLxkvVKI.

Hundred Holes for Haiti
Next Monday, June 17 we will be walking 100+ (hopefully) holes of golf at Miami Valley Golf Club in Dayton, Ohio. Our goal is to WALK as many holes as possible in a day.

I would like to ask you to keep David and me in your prayers as we prepare to tackle walking 100+ holes in a single day. If you have any questions or would like to make a contribution please send me a personal message.


Yes, they love to play golf. But I am proud of them for thinking of others while pushing themselves to achieve a personal goal. They have set it up for supporters to donate per hole or a flat fee, with additional contributions possible for birdies, eagles or holes in one. In addition to a per hole pledge, I have made a fairly sizable pledge if one (or both!) of them should make a hole in one during the course of the day. (Not likely, but awesome if it happens. :)) I hope you might say a prayer for them as they attempt the 100 holes in one day, and also for the family they will be supporting with the funds they will raise. Thanks, and have a great Wednesday!

No comments: