Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Bowling for the Hodgepodge

Good morning, and welcome to my contribution to the Wednesday Hodgepodge. It's a fun little gathering of folks from all over the world, hosted by our friend Joyce. Click on the button to visit her blog, and see who else is in on the HP today.
Here are her questions and my answers:
1. It was decided on Sunday the Denver Broncos will meet the Seattle Seahawks in this year's  Superbowl. So when was the last time you bowled? Not where you thought this question was going is it?  Do you like to bowl? Are you any good? 

One of the last times I went bowling was to celebrate Matthew's 6th birthday. His birthday is coming up, and he will be TEN, so that tells you I don't bowl often. And honestly, I don't think I actually bowled, I think I just watched
Bowling is fun, and no, I'm not good. I do like how the computer keeps score for you now. No adding necessary!

2.   Should sports stars be role models? 

I think so. And these two are both champs in my book.

3. January is National Oatmeal month...are you a fan? How do you like your oats?

In cookies, of course! I am a fan of oats, and our kids ate oatmeal for breakfast many, many days. Some of them still do.

4. What is one book on your reading list for 2014?

My Kindle is full of books I hope plan to read in 2014. I recently read and enjoyed two books by author Charles Martin, When Crickets Cry, and Chasing Fireflies. I look forward to reading more of his books. So good.

5. What would you like your future self to say to your present self?


6. When scrolling through the TV guide, what is one movie title that makes you want to stop, grab the popcorn, and watch for a while?

Well, I don't often scroll through the TV guide (I remember when it came in a little book), but I would probably stop and watch Pretty Woman.

7. What are two style trends you hope never come back into fashion?

I thought of a few: Guys in leisure suits or saggy jeans.
Overalls. (Unless you're a toddler).
This hair.

8.  Insert your own random thought here.

Yesterday, when I returned to my car after an appointment, I learned via Twitter of a shooting on the campus of Purdue University. Just hearing it brought tears as I prayed for all those involved. 

Later, learning that a student had shot and killed another student, my heart was broken as I tried to grasp this happening at our beloved Purdue. We are still learning about the victim and the suspect, but we know they were smart kids, engineering students, with bright futures. 

Last night there was a candlelight vigil on campus attended by several hundred students on a cold, cold evening. Ever grateful. Ever true.
As a mother, my heart grieves for everyone touched by this tragedy. The mother of the victim received the most devastating, unthinkable news possible. I also think about the mother of the suspect. She also received unimaginable news. Pray for the families. Pray for Purdue. And pray that we can stop the violence in our country. Amen.

No comments: