Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Hashtag #Hodgepodge

I missed last week's Hodgepodge since we were having Christmas, and house guests, and meals to prepare, so I'm glad to be linking up with Joyce today. She's a busy gal herself, and we are thankful for her faithful weekly posting of interesting questions to get our cognitive wheels turning. Be sure to click on the button below to pay Joyce a visit!
I pray that you are safe and warm today as you enjoy the questions and my answers.

1. Every January 1st since 1976 Lake Superior University has published a list of words they'd like to see banished from the Queen's English.  Words may be banished due to misuse, overuse or just general uselessness (go here to read more about how the words were chosen).  Here are the words/phrases they'd like to see banished in 2014-

selfie, twerk/twerking, hashtag, Twittersphere, Mr. Mom, T-bone, ____on steroids, the suffixes-ageddon, and -pocalypse added to anything and everything, from the world of politics the words-intellectually/morally bankruptand Obamacare, and from the world of sports the words-adversity and fan base

Which of these words/phrases would you most like to see banished from everyday speech and why? Is there a word not on the list you'd like to add?

I am not bothered by the use of any of these words. They are not all words I use myself, but I don't mind hearing them. Of course, I may or may not know the 'current' definition of all of them. To me, Mr. Mom is either that adorable 1983 movie that kept us laughing back in the days of diapers and carpools, or the Lonestar song which ends with the line, "Honey, you're my hero." And T-bone? That's a steak right?

Jonathan and I have recently been discussing words that are best used only by teenagers, which brought us to the Sprint commercial with James Earl Jones. Sooo funny! Or should I say, "Totes McGotes Adorbs."




2. What one unfinished project nags at you begging to be completed in this new year?
My bedroom and bathroom redecorating project is not yet finished, and it's going to be up to me to get some of the prep done to finish it. Soon, hopefully.

3. When did you last have a bowl of soup? What kind? Homemade or from a can? What's your favorite soup?
I made gumbo on Saturday, before the Saints game, and chili on Sunday. It's been a soup kind of weekend around here. I used Zatarain's Gumbo Mix with Rice and added chicken. It was yummy. Next time, I think I'll add some sausage too. At the moment? Gumbo's my favorite. #notthedog

4. Snowed in, snowed under, snow job...which one most applies to your life in recent days, figuratively speaking.
Well, in recent days, and there's nothing figurative about it, 'snowed in' is what we've been. The snow, combined with the bitter cold temperatures, has closed schools for the third day in a row. Even the kids are itching to get back in school and out of the house. (Not to mention the moms.) Ha!
I'm content to stay inside, and have even brought the old farm dog, who always stays outside, into the laundry room. Not fit for man nor beast out there!
Figuratively, I guess I'm also 'snowed in' since projects and meals are limited to supplies on hand. Guess I'll just read a book!

5. What's the funniest movie you've ever seen, or at least one of the funniest?
Since I prefer funny/happy to funny/inappropriate, my funny movie may not be the mainstream funny movie. That being said, I would choose the aforementioned Mr. Mom, and also, Father of the Bride. I know that's two, but the first one doesn't count. :)
And in case it's been a while since you have watched Father of the Bride, here's a little clip for you:



6.  In general, would you say you're clumsy?
No.

7. Elvis Presley was born on Hodgepodge Day (January 8th) back in 1935.  Are you an Elvis fan?  What's your favorite Elvis tune? If that's too hard, which Elvis tune do you dislike the least?  Click here for a list of his songs.
I am not a huge Elvis fan, though I do appreciate the impact he had on the music of the era. Before we were married, Jim's mom made me this music box in ceramics. It plays, 'Can't Help Falling in Love', so that's my favorite Elvis song.

8. Insert your own random thought here.
When we were taking pictures after our Thanksgiving meal, we did get this one of us with the grands. So blessed.

No comments: