Friday, June 13, 2014

Friday Fragments

Hello Friday! Time to share some fragments from the week that was.

Did you know that Santa Claus makes appearances in June? Well he does. And it seems that he doesn't wear his hat in the summer. Too hot for that.
In case you're wondering where I ran into the jolly old fellow, it was at church for the 'Celebration Park' themed Vacation Bible School. Here are my sweet grands enjoying the opportunity to see Santa in summer. Ho ho ho!

****
My peony bushes didn't do too well this year. I love them, but was only able to cut a few blossoms to enjoy inside. The peony problem was possibly due to the skid loader that ran over the bush earlier this spring. That could do it. Hopefully, they will come back stronger next year.

****
Haleigh and Ella found this game in the closet when they were here on Wednesday. We put in fresh batteries, and they were soon squealing as the elephant blew butterflies all over the room. When I told them the name of the game, Haleigh said, "Huh? Ella fun?"
I think she wondered why it wasn't called 'Haleigh fun.' Good question!
And that reminded me of friends of ours with two (now grown) daughters named Soni and Joy. One day, near Christmas, Soni asked her mom why they never sang 'Soni to the world.' We always loved that story.

****
The Colts were in our little town yesterday for a Fan Fest event on the courthouse square. I didn't go, but I swiped this photo of the kids from Darci. Sounds like it was fun for all, and there was even music by former Colts punter Hunter Smith. I'm sure it was good. He's a friend of our friend Sandi. :)

****
Even though the peonies aren't doing well, I can always count on the clematis on the back fence. I love it because it's beautiful and requires almost no effort. My kind of gardening.
My late-planted pot doesn't look too bad either. Of course the recent rain has helped. My thumb is not green. And that reminds me of a story Jim's mom told, about a time when he was a little boy and she noticed him getting his hat and coat on and heading for the door. When she asked him where he was going, he said, "I'm going to Grandma's (which was next door) because you said she has a green thumb and I want to see it."

****
And finally, in honor of Father's Day, a photo of me with my dad, probably around 1962. Happy Father's Day to all the dads out there!

Linking up with Mrs. 4444 at Half-Past Kissin' Time for Friday Fragments.

5 comments:

Cathy said...

My girls and their cousins love Elle Fun! It was so fun watching them running around the room screamming and laughing!!

retired not tired said...

Sometimes the old forgotten games are the best fun of all. Our grandchildren love bubbles.

Terri D said...

Santa in June - who knew!!

Great photos of lots of fun!

Plants that require very little care make for my kind of gardening, too!

What a wonderful picture of you and your dad. So nice to see.

Doreen McGettigan said...

My grandkids love the older games.
The kids look so little in front of the Colts blow up. They are so cute.
What an adorable photo with your Dad
! doreenmcgettigan.com

Unknown said...

What fun, Susan! I just have to add a Joy story since you started out with VBS. When Joy was probably around 3 or 4 and going to VBS in the basement of the First Baptist Church, she was so excited and telling everyone she was going to, "Bible church." My mom always loved to tell that story!! Love your stories and such great memories and new adventures!!