Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Lazy Days of Hodgepodge

It's Wednesday again, and that means time for the Hodgepodge. Our hostess, Joyce, took a little Hodgepodge summer vacation last week (since she was in Portugal!), but she's back at it this week with some great questions to challenge our thinking on this hot summer day. Be sure to click on the button below to visit Joyce and the others.
Here are her questions and my answers:
1. Since you weren't Hodgepodging last Wednesday, how did you pass the time?

Playing Elefun with the grands.

2. What's the first word that comes to mind when I say marriage? Yes, one word. 

The first word that came to my mind was compromise, and after thinking about it, I decided to stick with that word. Instead of 50-50, marriage should be more like 100-100. Of course, sometimes it will be 120-80, or 70-130, and that's ok. That's where the compromise comes in.

3. Summer officially arrives in the Northern hemishpere later this week. Does it feel like summer where you live? Describe your idea of the perfect summer day.

After a long, hard winter, it is, in fact, beginning to feel like summer around here. A few days of 90 degree temperatures in the forecast will bring us face to face with sticky summer days. Yay for summer!
My current idea of a perfect summer day is sitting on the deck with this view:

4. "Deep summer is when laziness finds respectability."(Sam Keen) Is laziness ever respectable? Do you have a lazy summer planned, or something semi-ambitious?

I like the quote, and I think we all need to slow down and enjoy a lazy day now and then. Especially in the dog days of summer. Hopefully, my summer will be both a little bit lazy and a little bit productive.

5. Past or present, who's your favorite television dad? Why is he a favorite? Is he anything like your own dad?

I'm choosing 2 favorite television dads.
First, Charles Ingalls, because I always wanted to be a pioneer, and Pa was so wise and kind (and cute). Times were simple, and I thought it looked like so much fun to climb into the loft each night at bedtime in that little house on the prairie. (As an adult, I realize that it probably wasn't as much fun for Ma Ingalls. Being a pioneer was hard work!)
Second, Cliff Huxtable, because he made us laugh

6. June 18th is International Picnic Day...share a favorite picnic memory.

My mom's father was one of 12 children, and the family had a reunion every year on the last Sunday in June. My parents packed up the car, and we would head north to the city park in Wabash, Indiana. We sometimes stopped in Indianapolis so we could travel caravan style with my grandparents. If I was lucky, I would get to ride with Mamaw and Pampaw (and I usually was). :) I knew that Mamaw's basket held her famous banana salad, which was a once-a-year special dish she only made for the reunion. It was actually pudding, made with lots of milk and dark brown sugar, bananas, and Spanish peanuts on top. It was a caramel flavored pudding, and I loved it.

Once we arrived at the park, there was hugging and squealing as the 12 siblings and families greeted one another. The women unloaded their baskets and arranged the food on long picnic tables while a couple of the men hung up the large cloth sign with the family name on it so everyone was sure to find the correct family. :) I parked myself right beside that banana salad so I could be first to spoon out my helping. If I waited in line, there might not be any left.

After the meal, we visited with Pampaw's parents, Grandma and Grandpap, and the other relatives. We sometimes got to play on the playground equipment at the park, and there was a huge slide built into the side of a hill that was so awesome. I wonder if it's still as big as it was to 10-year-old me? One year, the picnic tables had recently been painted, and several of my great-aunts ended up with orange paint across their backsides. Another year, my mom made me tap dance on one of those same tables. She was proud and I was shy.

It was a fun tradition that they kept up for many years. Only one of the 12 children is still living, and the reunions are no longer held. I do, however, have the banana salad recipe. :)

7. The travel site Trip Advisor lists the top five islands in the world for 2014 as-Ambergris Caye in Belize CayesProvidenciales in Turks and CaicosBora Bora in French PolynesiaMarco Island Florida, and Lewis and Harris in The Outer Hebrides (Scotland). Have you been to any of these? Of those listed (and if price were not a factor) which would you most like to book for a holiday?

I'll choose Providenciales, because I have been told that Turks and Caicos is lovely. However, I'm partial to our personal favorite island, Grand Cayman.


8.  Insert your own random thought here.

Speaking of one of my favorite TV dads, here's a little clip from Bill Cosby's Himself. This is a youtube video, but the first time I heard this sketch, it was on an album. Remember those? Anyone?
If your stereo is on the blink, you can click below to enjoy Bill Cosby's Chocolate Cake for Breakfast. I always thought it was a fine idea. :) 


8 comments:

Vee said...

He's a master story teller, isn't he?! I rather like the idea of chocolate cake for breakfast and another great thing would be banana pudding. Have you shared that recipe here before? I'll look around.

Cathy said...

I said Bill Cosby for a favorite dad too and my picnic memories was about reunions too.

Yes, I originally heard that story on an album too!! Love Bill Cosby.

Joyce said...

I still love Bill Cosby. He's sensible and funny and doesn't seem to go whichever way the wind blows or to be swayed by political correctness run amok. Also-I am very envious of your lake view : )

Cranberry Morning said...

Wow. Your memory of family reunions sure brought back memories for me - meeting at Solon Springs, WI and seeing all those old relatives we only saw once at year at the reunion. lol That view from the deck is just wonderful. I need the deck screened in. Here, the mosquitoes would carry us away!

Capri K @ No Whining Allowed said...

Loved your picnic story, loved your lake view and LOVE Bill Cosby! Our Mom had many of his records, my brother and I still quote him!

Terri D said...

I answered with Bill Cosby - and love his early comedy! So funny, and so CLEAN! No bad words. Amazing! I enjoyed your Hodgepodge!! Love that view from your deck, too!

Denise said...

Enjoyed the video.

Zoanna said...

I also said Charles sing all's. I think Michael Labson was one of the best looking men of all time. Great story about the banana salad--sounds delish!