Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Snorkel, Sunset, Punch... and President?

I thought I should wrap up our great week in Grand Cayman. We did a little reading, a little relaxing, a little basketball watching, more relaxing, a little walking, and a lot more relaxing. It's a tough job, I know.

Matthew did learn to snorkel, and took to it like, well, like a fish to water. He and his dad headed down to the Governor's Reef to see if they could find some fish.


They weren't gone too long, and came back with tales of millions of fish. Someone must have been feeding them. In fact, Matthew felt one bite his toe!

I think he'll be ready for Stingray City next trip.


Then it was time for another sand sculpture.

This time, it was a cruise ship, complete with smoke stacks and pools on the top deck.

Time for the sunset, and a sweet family picture.

My dad (Boomie) with his world famous rum punch. He also became famous in the neighborhood for his spiked hair. It is really a visor, but drew lots of attention from folks trying to figure out if it was real. Added some fun to their breakfasts at Eats Cafe and evenings on the beach.

We were blessed with a perfect sunset on Saturday night.


Matthew tried to push the sun into the water.


On Sunday, there was a little commotion outside, and it turns out that President Bill Clinton was taking a walk on the beach. When he came back our way, Andrew and the kids (along with several others) headed down by the water to say hello.

Sure enough, President Clinton himself was enjoying a stroll on beautiful Seven Mile Beach, and visiting with folks along the way.

He waved at Darci,

while Matthew watched.

He shook hands with Andrew,

and commented on the beautiful baby. But of course. (Yes, I know he's a politician, but I must agree with his opinion of my granddaughter.)

I was also able to shake his hand, and thank him for his work in Haiti. He stopped, and told me it was one of the hardest things he has ever done, but also one of the most rewarding. Pretty cool.

He headed back to the Ritz next door, where he was speaking on Monday night at a dinner reported to be $1500 a ticket.


His presence probably explained this boat, which had been cruising the shoreline earlier in the day.

Meanwhile, in the parking lot, this guy was sunning himself on top of the bushes.

And his big brother - or maybe his grandpa - was doing likewise under the tree.

King Tut, the original Villas iguana, is no longer living. We weren't sure what this one's name was, but Matthew thought it should be Tyler. We'll go with that.

For our last night on the island, we enjoyed a delicious dinner at Calypso Grill. It was reported that President Clinton ate dinner there also. We must have just missed him.

Everything was good, but I am particularly fond of their Sticky Toffee Pudding. Ahh STP, you had me from hello. One of my all time favorite desserts. Of course, I rarely meet a dessert I don't like.

And with our dinner, we had a little visitor jump from Andrew's lap to Jim's napkin.

According to ancient Caymanian legend, a frog in your napkin means you will return to this place again and again. That's my story, and I'm stickin' to it.

No comments: