Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Horsin' Around at the Hodgepodge

Howdy from the Hodgepodge! It's Wednesday again, and I'm happy to be sharing some Hodgepodge with Joyce and friends. Be sure to stop by her blog to visit!

1. Do you like chili? Red or white? Beans or no beans? Spice or no spice? Toppings?
Yes, I like chili. Red. With beans. Medium spice. Great with shredded cheese and sour cream.

2. Red~Orange~Gold...your favorite fall color?
It would definitely be gold. Old gold. As in "All hail to our old gold and black." Here's a repeat photo of me  with the precious grands, all dressed for the occasion at the Purdue football game on Saturday. Boiler Up!

It is convenient for me, since my other favorite team, the New Orleans Saints, has the same colors. I am definitely getting this t-shirt for the little girls from Fleurty Girl when I am in NOLA in October. Who Dat!

3. Who did you idolize when you were growing up?
Has to be my mom. She was smart, clever, creative. As I told her once when I was very young, she was "a genuine genius." Still is. Still do.

4. When was the last time you did something 'arts and craftsy'? Share please.
My sister-in-law and I have a business which requires being somewhat 'arts and craftsy' when we are working. We make clothing for horse show exhibitors. Since girls who show horses like to 'shine' (literally), the clothes are embellished with thousands of stones, individually glued on to the garments. Yes, my children say I'm a stoner.  Since I stone. Clothes. :)
These are some shirts on which we are currently working.

Yes, we glue each of those stones on one at a time. You can read more about it, and see more examples here in a post I wrote about our little business, Show Grace Designs. A great way to release our inner creativity!

5. What's a place that makes you really nervous? 
 The dentist.

6. Horse back riding...yay or nay (neigh?)
Yay for horse back riding for me. I have always loved horses. I begged and prayed for one until my parents made my wish come true. This was no easy thing for them, since we did not live on a farm, and neither of my parents knew anything about horses. We kept the horse at the farm of some good friends, until my parents moved from town to a home with a barn a couple years later.
This is a picture of me on my horse Bucky, giving my young cousins a ride. I must have been about 12. I'm not sure that would be considered safe by today's standards, and what am I wearing on my feet? Saddle shoes??

My love of horses continues to this day, and I pushed it onto passed it along to my daughter as well. This is a picture of her with her horse Zip to Elegance, "Ellie", after winning showmanship at the Indiana State Fair. Jennifer now works with horses every day at her job as a registered veterinary technologist.

We still own one horse, Calipso Kid, "Pee Wee", who is 29 years old. I love him. He and Jennifer also won at the State Fair, in western horsemanship.

Pee Wee went to the county fair a couple years ago so that Matthew could do the leadline class.

He's almost famous around here. In fact, Jennifer was a bit miffed that folks seemed as happy to see Pee Wee as they were to see her! He carried Matthew around like it was his job. A job he knows well. He's one of the great ones. That's why I love him.
As for the actual riding part? I haven't done that for quite a while, but Pee Wee and I have the chance to greet one another each morning, and share some meaningful barn time. I think that counts, don't you?

7. What is your favorite cliche?
There's No Place Like Home.

8. Insert your own random thought here.
You may have heard of The Real Farmwives of America and Friends. They are a group of young farm women, blogging about life on the farm, including tales of kids, critters, tractors, gardens, food, friends, and lots of other good stuff. My real life friend, Sarah, is part of the group and blogs at This Farm Family's Life. Be sure and stop by to say hello to her.

This week, the Farmwives are blogging about their friend Leontien, who is bravely facing cancer for the second time. Leontien blogs at Four Leaf Clover Tales, and her friends have asked for a shower of comment love on her blog from friends around the blog world. There is also a Love for Leontien Facebook page set up for comments as well.
It must be awesome for Leontien to feel the love of friends, many of whom she does not even know "in real life." I believe one of the best things about this world of the internets, is the ability to connect, support, and form very real friendships with people we would never have met but for this screen and keyboard.
Won't you join me in saying a prayer for Leontien?

No comments: