Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Checkmate

Today is the 125th birthday of the Grand Hotel on Mackinac Island, Michigan. To celebrate the occasion, this week has been proclaimed 'Grand Hotel Week' in the entire state of Michigan. Tonight they will be serving a 125-foot birthday cake on the hotel's famous front porch.

We had fun on that porch when we visited last month for a celebration of our own, my parents' 55th wedding anniversary. I just had a few more photos from my phone that I wanted to share from our visit to that porch, and today is a good day to do it.

The porch is just so much fun. The rocking chairs, the geraniums, the beverages, and the history make it a great place to gather as guests at the Grand Hotel.

There is also a giant chess board at one end of the porch so you can challenge a fellow guest to a friendly match.

I believe when we were there 5 years ago to celebrate my parents' 50th, son Jonathan got schooled by a 7-year-old on this porch.

Haleigh and Ella aren't ready for a serious match yet, but they had fun with the chess pieces.

I am sure they will learn the proper moves in a chess game before too long. Matthew is already learning.

Of course, it's always good to be queen on the chess board.

For now, we've got two pretty pretty princesses.

A sweet pose with their daddy and mommy.
Happy Birthday to the Grand Hotel!

No comments: