Monday, July 30, 2012

Miscellany Monday

I have several random photos to share, most taken with my phone, so I thought I would toss them all together in a miscellaneous post. Summer is like that, you know, random, fun, busy, lazy, hot, dry, and always seems to fly by so quickly.

Our church was scheduled to have new carpet installed, and one day last week I happened to drive by when the carpet trucks were there. I whipped into the parking lot and hopped out to take a few photos. I actually eased into the lot and stepped out of the car, but it sounds so much more exciting the other way, don't you agree?

This is the alter area after the old teal carpet had been partially ripped up. It was cool to see hardwood floor underneath the old carpet.

Out with the old, in with the new. The old teal carpet at the bottom of the photo, the new tan carpet at the top. New carpet at the church seems like a good metaphor for life as a Christian. Just when we get comfortable, we realize that it is time to move out of our comfort zone, and, as Ann Voskamp says, "into Christ's zone." It is an exciting time for our church: new pastor, new carpet, and a few of us who are discovering anew that "faith steps out of the boat." Such beautiful words from Ann Voskamp.

"Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; 
the old has gone, the new has come!" 
-2 Corinthians 5:17

The new roll of carpet waiting to be installed.

Half of the pews pushed to one side to allow for the installation.

We don't often get a chance to see the church looking like this. I don't have 'after' photos, but I trust that it is securely installed and will give us years of service. It's a good time for me to clear out those things in my life that keep me from Christ and move to a place where I am turning toward Him.

On Wednesday, to celebrate our 31st wedding anniversary, we went to Indianapolis for dinner and stayed at the beautiful Canterbury Hotel downtown.

Our view was of Lucas Oil Stadium. Won't be long now. Are you ready for some football?

Dinner was at St. Elmo's Steakhouse, and of course we had the famous shrimp cocktail. The photo prompted many comments when I posted it on Facebook, but I think my favorite came from our friend and pastor, Jimmy, who said,  "Good marriage, like the shrimp cocktail at St. E's, has a way of opening you up." In case you have not tasted it before, it's hottttt stuff!

Dessert was blueberry bread pudding. We shared. :)

Jim was even able to correctly select my choice from the dessert menu. It only takes 31 years to learn to do that!

The end of the week included pool time and lake time with good friends, and we were so busy enjoying ourselves that I failed to get even one picture. We did have rain at the lake, and since it has been a long time coming this summer, I took a couple pictures of the wet stuff coming down.

Praise the Lord!

Darci sent me this cute photo of the girls getting ready for football season. Who Dat!

And we finished the weekend at the lake with good friends and their good dogs who came for a visit.

No comments: