Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Islands in the Hodgepodge

It is time once again for the Wednesday Hodgepodge. I'm glad to be back after a couple weeks away. Read my answers, then click on the button to visit our hostess, Joyce, and the other bloggers who are joining the fun.

1. Aloha! On August 21, 1959 Hawaii officially became a US state. Have you ever been? Upon arrival would you prefer an orchid or a hibiscus to tuck behind your ear?
I have never been to Hawaii, and I know I would love it, just wish it didn't take so darn long to get there. Either flower would be fine with me, or how about greeting me with a tropical beverage? (See next question).

2. Since we're talking tropical...what's your favorite food or beverage made with pineapple?
 A pina colada. Enjoyed on Seven Mile Beach. In the Cayman Islands.

3. Do you believe in soul mates? Explain.
I have always thought that timing plays a big part in finding the right person. In thinking about this, I found a quote by Dr. Laura Berman that I agree with about soul mates:
"I’m not saying that there is just one person out there for each of us. In fact, I think timing is a big player in the search for love. It seems to happen when you’ve figured out your priorities, both in your own life and in what you seek in another, that Cupid sends his invisible arrow your way: You often haven’t been expecting it, and your beloved may not be exactly what you imagined either!"
4. Share a memory about the house you grew up in.
Well, I can never just share a memory, now, can I? 
I think I'm 3 in the picture below, standing in front of our newly built home. We would live in this house until I was 15. I'm not sure why I was pouting in the photo...

My mom converted the garage into a room where she taught preschool. I was in her first class, at age 4, pictured below. I am third from the left in the back row, with my friend Ann beside me. My brother, Ted, is in the front, on the far right. That room was so much fun. It was a place where we could play, work on projects, play the record player, and have all sorts of fun. My mom painted the inside of the garage door with chalkboard paint. Just one of her many great ideas.

Here I am with my brother, Ted, on the front porch. We were recently discussing the fact that Ted is squinting in most of the photographs from when we were kids. I'm always smiling nicely, and he's always tilting his head with a squinty smile on his face. Oh, Ted. I believe the jug on the porch was broken during a neighborhood game of 'Capture the Flag.' Who thought it was a good idea to tie the flag to the handle? I am sure my mother was not too pleased.

My mom built us an awesome tree house in the back yard, and we had a screened porch where we ate most meals in the summer. The kitchen window had a shelf so we could pass food and dishes to the porch for supper. I remember my dad mowing trails in the yard for us to run through before he finished the job. I also remember my dad taking us 'up the wooden hill' when it was time for bed each night. 

The family room had a fireplace, with an opening beside it meant for wood. We had the TV in that spot, and that's where we watched the first men land on the moon, in 1970.

My room was lavender, with gingham half-canopies over the twin beds. Another clever creation of my mother. I wish I had a picture of that room, but we didn't really take pictures of rooms back then. That was long before the world of Pinterest. 

The picture below is from my 13th birthday party, which took place in the preschool room/garage. I'm pretty sure it was a slumber party, and the whole gang slept out there. I know my mom had activities planned to keep us busy and out of trouble for the evening. I'm also sure she wasn't sleeping upstairs. :) That's my brother Michael in front of the table. Oh, Michael.

5. Are you comfortable with silence?
Yep.

6. You spot a giant spider on your bedroom wall...what's your next move? (all spiders are giant, right?)
I would go over and smack it with something!

7. My idea of fun does NOT include ______________.
Cleaning, exercising, going to the dentist, needles, math problems, and finding a giant spider on my bedroom wall.

8. Insert your own random thought here.
It's that time of year again... are you ready for some football? I am getting excited to see my favorite player and his team take the field. I also want to personally congratulate Drew and Brittany on the birth of their third son. Fun times ahead for their little family.

This may or may not describe me.

And I wonder if I need these shoes?? Who Dat! (More like 'who dat fallin' down' if I were to wear these shoes.)
 Happy Wednesday!

No comments: