Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Wednesday Hodgepodge

Here's a little Wednesday Hodgepodge to share. Questions from Joyce, be sure to visit her here.


1. National Read a Road Map Day falls on April 5th. Would people say you have a good sense of direction? Do you rely on a GPS when you drive somewhere new? When was the last time you used a map? 

I don't think I have a particularly good sense of direction, but I can usually get myself where I want to go. Especially with all the gadgets in my car. I do like my GPS. I call her Gina. She tells me right where to go, and only occasionally steers me in the wrong direction. Well, I still do the steering, but you know what I mean.

I do still like a good old fashioned map, especially for exploring a new city. If I can see a map, laid out in front of me on paper, I think it helps to really get a feel for a new place. The last time I used a map was probably last fall in New Orleans.

Grandson Matthew loves maps. He often asks me to turn the map on in the car, so he can see the roads as we go. In Wal-Mart once, he noticed a store map on the wall and stopped to study it. When he discovered small paper maps available for shoppers, he was immediately guiding me to the important areas of the store - like the toy department. He may have a career in geography. My friend Jan would be so proud.


I found this picture of Matthew's dad Andrew studying a map in Washington D.C.



And here is Matthew with his Aunt Jennifer, studying a map at the Indiana State Fair. 
Like father....



2. What's your favorite cookbook?

I have several really nice cookbooks, but I would say my favorite, if favorite means most-used, is this one: Lucy Cooks With Family and Friends. No, you can't buy it in a store. It was put together by my sister-in-law for her soon to be daughter-in-law for a bridal shower. She collected recipes from family and friends, compiled them along with special messages for Lucy and Brian, and put them together in this awesome book. And, she gave many of us our very own copy.

Best. Cookbook. Ever. I can pretty much put all my other cookbooks away, because this one has all our favorites in it. And we already know they're good, because they are the tried and true go-to recipes from all the cooks in the family. Even the non-cooks in the family (like me) have one or two old faithfuls that we know how to make. They're in there.

And what a sweet idea to do for a new daughter-in-law. I just share this one with my DILs. Much less work.


3. What painting would you like to "walk into" and experience? Why?

I started thinking of "famous" paintings, but then I looked up and saw this one hanging on my wall. I love the barns, and the peaceful feeling of the country on a summer day. It's hard to see, but there's a little boy walking on the path in the center of the painting. It was painted by my elementary school art teacher, which makes it even more special to me. She called it, "Ain't God Good to Indiana." Yes He is.


4. What annoys you more- misspellings or mispronunciations?

I think misspellings.

5. What is something your mother or father considered important?

My mother thought it was important that my brothers and I learned to greet and speak to adults. I was a bit shy as a child, and this was sometimes always hard for me. I remember one funny story about a day when my mother was hosting my grandmother and some of her friends at our home. She offered to pay us a quarter for each greeting we offered when we got home from school. I think she even paid extra if we gave our grandmother a kiss! Of course my brother Ted was greeting and kissing all around. He was always such a brown noser. Do people still say brown noser?
 
6. Do you like or dislike schedules?

There are some schedules I do like:  airline schedules, football schedules, class schedules, but I will have to say I also understand the importance of being flexible in schedules and in life.

7. Let's have some fun with National Poetry Month (that would be April)...write your own ending to this poem-

"Roses are Red
Violets are blue..."

Incidentally if you'd like to read the history behind that little ditty you'll find it here

This question immediately reminded me of my brother-in-law, Steve. I even ran out and took his picture so I could share it here. Steve is the king of Roses are Red. I know, you might not think he looks like your typical poet, but believe me, he is. He uses "Roses are red, violets are _____ " to express all kinds of thoughts and feelings with everyone he meets. One time, when I had asked him to help move a particularly heavy piece of furniture, he left me this note: "Roses are red, violets are black. If this was any heavier, I wouldn't be back." (Don't worry, he came back, but moving furniture is definitely not his favorite job.)


He leaves these little gems all around for folks to enjoy - on scraps of paper, white boards,  car windshields - you never know where you might find one. I hope all of you reading who have been a recipient of one of Steve's Roses are Red poems will share it in the comments.


So, now I'm supposed to finish the poem. Well, I should really ask Steve to do it, but here goes:

Roses are red, 
Violets are blue,
That Steve's quite a character
Oh yes, 'tis true.*

*'tis true is my mother's poetry trademark, shared here in her honor.

8. Insert your own random thought in this space.

With the close of the NCAA Basketball Tournament, I wanted to give just a little attention to the Butler Bulldogs. While they aren't my team, they are an Indiana team, they are a good team, and even better individuals. I liked this picture of their mascot, Blue II, and his question:


Why yes. Yes you did.

The Bulldogs lost in a heartbreaker to UConn on Monday night. It was not the way they wanted to finish their season or play their very last game together. Sometimes, things just don't go your way. It's true in sports, and it's true in life. Good lessons. Hard lessons. Please read this article about the team, their coach, and the way they chose to support one another in victory and in defeat. Grab a tissue.

No comments: