Friday, May 27, 2011

All Hail the Power

Our little town was hit hard on Wednesday by severe storms that damaged trees, homes, and businesses. Thankfully, I have not heard of any serious injuries, so that is a blessing.

At our house, we lost power for about 24 hours, and several large limbs, but no damage to our house or buildings. Well, the barn probably lost a few more shingles, but that's nothing new.

When we came up from the basement, the hail covered the ground like heavy frost. I heard reports of very large hail in many of the areas affected by the storm.



Ours wasn't super huge, but here you can see the approximate size. A quarter on the left, hailstone on the right.


One of the trees to the west side of our house.





This tree is on the east side of the barn just north of the creek.

Lots of water.



Gumbo thought about chasing after a bird, but he would have been under water.

In town, there was lots more damage. I went to help a friend who had her garage doors and sun porch blown off, and I saw this grain bin on the way.

At my parents' home, they lost a very large tree in the back yard.

Thankfully, there was only minor damage to the screens on the porch and the gutters.

The hail damaged several of the sanctuary windows at our church. I guess you can call them holy windows. :)

My prayers are with all those who have been affected by the storms in recent days. I am always inspired by the spirit of cooperation as people rally to help one another. I am also reminded of all the many blessings, for which we are grateful, every day. God is good.

For you have been my refuge, a strong tower against the foe.
 I long to dwell in your tent forever
and take refuge in the shelter of your wings.
Psalm 61:3-4

No comments: