Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Wild Wednesday Hodgepodge

Another Wednesday, another Hodgepodge. Thanks to Joyce for hosting. Click on the button to visit her blog.


1. What reveals more about a woman-her refrigerator or her purse?

I would say her purse. A refrigerator in the home of a large family such as ours, takes on a life of its own. I have watched an evolution of beverages, leftovers, and yes, the occasional (ok, frequent) science project live and thrive in the depths of our Sub-Zero. A woman's purse, however, is her own private domain. I do fear that my purse may not reveal much information, since I'm not one to carry much around with me. As long as I have a credit card and my driver's license, I'm pretty much good to go. Maybe that is revealing after all.

2. When was the last time you went to the zoo? Where? What's your favorite zoo animal?

I think the last time I went to the zoo, was when I was still teaching first graders, so about seven years ago. We took an annual field trip to the Indianapolis Zoo. I am pretty sure it was pouring rain that day, and I convinced my group that there really weren't any animals out in the "plains" area. We went from the waters building, to the desert building, to the dolphin pavilion, dodging raindrops between buildings. It wasn't until the bus ride home (love those field trip bus rides) that my group learned there were giraffes, and elephants, and zebras there after all. I only felt guilty for a minute or two, or not.  Besides, we were dry. :)

Of course, I had to dig up some old photos of our gang at the zoo, just for fun. Jim, with Jonathan on his shoulders (yes, he was a little dude once upon a time), and David, Jennifer, and Andrew (1989).

 I had to include this one of Jennifer, because it's just so darn cute.

Little Jonathan again, saying one of his first multi-word sentences, "I see baby camel sleeping." He hasn't stopped talking since.

Another trip, a couple years later, with Andrew, cousin Jessica, Jennifer, and David in the photo. And an elephant, of course.

And since Jennifer has grown to love goats (not) in her job as a vet tech, I wanted to include this one of her hugging the little horned one.

As for my favorite zoo animal? I have always loved the polar bears, especially if they are swimming.

3. What social issue fires you up?

The abuse of children.

4. Are you a coupon clipper? If so, are you extreme?

I was just discussing this topic recently. I am not a coupon clipper. I know there are folks who are professionals in the corporate coupon world, and I admire their savvy money-saving ways. My past grocery shopping was usually focused on leaving the store with the same number of children with which I arrived. Most of the time, I was successful. Now, when I finally do go to the store, I want to get in and out with a minimum amount of time and trouble.

5. What is one of your favorite souvenirs brought back from your travels?

I love this little tap-tap napkin holder I got on my first trip to Haiti. There was one like it on the table in the guest house (later destroyed by the earthquake) where we stayed and ate our meals. Tap-taps are the main form of transportation in Haiti. They are colorful and crowded little buses driving wildly around the streets of Port au Prince. The napkin holder sits on my kitchen windowsill and reminds me every day of our Haitian friends.

6. Lemon meringue or key lime?

Key lime.

7. What is the most beautiful word you know in any language?
Je t'aime
Te amo
Ya ti-bya lyu blyu
Ani o hevet oth kha
I love you

And the rest of the words to the beautiful song,
"Love in Any Language" sung (again) by my friend, Sandi Patty.

Pause the blog music before you play the video.



8. Insert your own random thought here. 

I wanted to share the brand new music video by another one of my favorites, JJ Heller. Jim and I had the opportunity to see her at a concert recently, and she and her guitarist husband Dave were talented and genuine in their performance. The song is "Control" and it's all about giving it up. Giving it to God. So hard to let go. You can read a little background on the song over on JJ's blog, lovely little things. Pause the blog music before you play the video.


Happy Wednesday, everyone!

No comments: