Monday, December 5, 2011

Book Club Monday

I haven't written about my book club for a while, so I thought I would share our most recent book. Today, we discussed Cutting for Stone, by Abraham Verghese. I usually try to select our books using Amazon recommendations, or suggestions from friends. I had heard good things about this book, and had it on my list for early next year. However, when our library was not able to get two of the books I had requested from inter-library loan, I moved this book to the top of the list. That meant, I was reading it along with the ladies, instead of reading ahead, as is my preference.
Now that I have a Kindle, I have a whole world of books available at the click of my mouse. I have learned, however, that an e-reader doesn't allow for a visual grasp as to the length of the book. This is a long book, 672 pages, which made it a little daunting for some of our ladies. We do have a couple of voracious readers who finished the book easily. I found it a little difficult at first, probably because of the many unfamiliar names and places, but ultimately found it to be quite a page turner. One of our members said it was one of the best books we have read. Definitely a good read. It is a story of twins Marion and Shiva, who lost both their mother (to death) and their father (by abandonment), the day they were born. It is the story of their childhood in Ethiopia, the physicians who raised them as their own, of betrayal, exile, and, ultimately, a story of the love and strength of family.

Our book club is one of the small groups in our church, and I am very blessed to be able to share this time with a special group of wise, strong, smart, "seasoned", women every two weeks. They are all a bit older than I, and I have found that I treasure our time together.

Today, Jane and Jessie came wearing matching holiday turtlenecks, by accident, of course. I thought they were so cute that I had to get their picture.
How about you? What good books have you read lately?

No comments: