Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Faith in the Hodgepodge

Time for the Wednesday Hodgepodge. Read my answers, then hop over to see Joyce and the others who are playing along today.


1. Do you put Christmas decorations in every room of your house? If not every room, what rooms do you decorate?
I don't decorate every room, but I do have decorations scattered around the main floor. I do a bit less than I did when the children were little.

2. If you could visit one of the Nordic countries (Denmark, Finland, Iceland, Norway, and Sweden) which one would you choose and why?
The Scandinavian countries make me think of one of my favorite author/illustrators, Jan Brett. I have a bit of an addiction to books for children, and I now I add to our library for our grandchildren. Jan Brett's books are always a treat because of the extraordinary illustrations. Often, there are page borders that add a story within the story, or give clues about what's coming up on the pages ahead. So beautiful. She has a new book, Home for Christmas, inspired by a trip to Sweden. So I'll choose Sweden. Maybe I'll run into Rollo, the wild little troll.

3. What does the word faith mean to you?
Faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen. ~Hebrews 11:1

4. You can go back to your childhood for one day...what day and age would you choose?
This is a hard one, because I have so many happy memories of my childhood. Since I came across this (lovely) picture, I'll share this story. We were (obviously) on our way to Florida for spring break. We made this trip for many years, often with another family or two, and it was always so much fun. This was 1973, and we had left Indiana after school on Friday, and driven all night in the station wagon. We took my cousin, Kent, along (in the center of the photo) for a playmate for my youngest brother Michael. Of course, the plan is for the kids to sleep all night while the parents drive straight through. Trouble is, those two youngest boys were, well, boys. We all remember them saying things like "pig yuck" and giggling for hours. Me? I was listening to Donny Osmond sing Puppy Love on my cassette recorder. All. The. Way. My poor mother. It's surprising she was able to stand for this photo.
We are rather lovely, don't you think? Especially after spending the whole night in the car. Pig yuck!

5. When did you last have 'punch'? If it's not too much trouble share your favorite punch recipe.
I love punch. I love my friend Sue's wedding punch, named because they served it at their wedding of course. I also have a favorite tailgating punch, and though it doesn't sound like a traditional margarita, it is soooo tasty, and an easy way to make margaritas for a crowd.
Margarita Punch
1 large can frozen limeade
1 can Sprite
1 bottle Corona beer
1/2 the limeade can of tequila
That's it! So easy. I'm not a beer drinker at all, so I wasn't sure about putting the beer in there, but if you like margaritas, I know you'll like this. I double the recipe for a gallon pitcher.

6. Do you fill stockings at your house? Are stockings opened before or after the bigger gifts?
The stockings at our house have always been a bit more of a decoration than a part of our Christmas morning. Oh, there is usually something in the stockings, but they are more of an afterthought to the larger gifts that Santa brings.

7. What takes your breath away?
Pride in my family, music, the beauty of God's creation, a newborn baby...

8. Insert your own random thought here.
 Jennifer and I had a great day yesterday meeting with the wedding planner to go over details and work on the timeline. April will be here before we know it! It is fun to see the plans coming together.
I picked her up at her house, so I got to see her Christmas tree. She purchased it with a Groupon, which included delivery to her house! And it's such a pretty tree too.

I was greeted by her Corgi, Emma.

After our day of planning, combined with a little shopping, Bryan met us for dinner.
 And by the way, I am enjoying my new iPhone. Especially my new friend Siri. She's great!

No comments: