Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Just a Spoonful of Hodgepodge

I wasn't sure if I would get to the Hodgepodge this week, since granddaughter Haleigh is staying with us for a couple of days. An almost-two-year-old makes things a little busier than normal around here. In a fun way, of course! Here she is on our way home yesterday after a fun morning at MOPS. Worn out!

And now on to the Hodgepodge questions. The Hodgepodge, of course, is brought to you by our blog buddy Joyce at From This Side of the Pond. Be sure to click on over to pay her a visit!

1. Will you be hosting any house guests between now and the end of December? Does that thought make you happy or crazy? Do you do anything special for your guests to make them feel at home? How long should a house guest stay?
Our only house guests will be our kids, and that thought makes me happy. :) I think they already feel at home here, so I don't really have to do anything special, except cook a little more than usual (and by 'usual' I mean not much at all). 

2. Walter Elias Disney was born this week (December 5) back in 1905 ...what's your all time favorite Disney movie? Here's a list in case you're struggling...and yes, you have to pick one.
My favorite Disney movie is Mary Poppins. Julie Andrews, Dick Van Dyke, great music, dancing penguins, a tea party on the ceiling, toys that put themselves away, and liberated carousel horses make for a magical and unforgettable gem of a movie. As a child, I was impressed by the magic. As an adult, I was touched by the message. That's as it should be.

3. What was the last thing you purchased that you realized was a mistake after the fact?
I purchased a new iPhone for myself, using my DIL's upgrade (she is on our family plan), then found out that it was much more complicated to transfer the upgrade than I had been led to believe. I should have just waited two more days and used my own upgrade. Now I know that. To simplify things, I gave the phone to her, and ordered a new one for myself. Everyone wins. :)

4. What percentage of your Christmas shopping is done online?
I probably do 98% of my Christmas shopping online. So. Much. Easier. I can do it any time, day or night, and I can even do it in my pajamas. Just let your fingers do the clicking. Besides, I love to see this big brown truck pull into the driveway.

5. Amaryllis-snowdrop-poinsettia...your favorite winter blossom?
I love poinsettias at Christmas time because of our sanctuary at church which is beautifully decorated with them every year. I have attended this church since I was an infant, and I have wonderful memories of singing in the choir as a child, directing the choir as a young mom, lighting the Advent candles as a family, and the anticipation leading up to our traditional Christmas Eve candlelight service. The poinsettias are an important part of the Christmas tradition at our church. They are given by church members in honor or in memory of loved ones.

6. What is one thing on your personal Christmas wish list? I think we all want peace on earth so let's make this answer an actual item.
This one is hard for me. I'm not good at making a wish list. I would be happy to let my new iPhone be my Christmas present. Unless someone wants to get me a new barn roof. Probably not. Maybe I'll get some ideas by reading the lists of my fellow Hodgepodgers.

7. If you could only use one word today what would it be?
Wow, Joyce, you come up with some good ones. Gee, I don't know. I guess in keeping with my answer to #2, I should go with Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious! But seriously, I think I would use the word 'peace.' It can be used as a greeting, a parting, to stop an argument, or to convey a wish for some quiet time. And come to think of it, the spoken word might even get you a slice of pie! Get it? Peace/piece? Of course you do. :)

8. Insert your own random thought here.
 I decided to actually make something I found on Pinterest. You may have seen these cute, simple, snowman donuts. Just use a candy corn for a nose, and mini chocolate chips for the eyes and the mouth. Cute and easy. I took them to MOPS this morning. I'm sure kids would enjoy making them too. I also found reindeer donuts, made from the chocolate mini donuts with pretzel antlers and a red M&M nose.
I do love Pinterest, but it can make time disappear like M&Ms from a bowl. And what great ideas! Sigh... so many pins, so little time.
Happy Wednesday, everyone. Make it a great day. :)

No comments: