Wednesday, June 13, 2012

It's a Beautiful Day in the Hodgepodgehood

It's Wednesday, so that means time for the Hodgepodge. Enjoy my answers then click over to visit Joyce and the others.

1. In what way are you your own worst enemy?
When I do my usual procrastination routine, when I get worked up over something that's not really worth getting worked up over, or when I feel it is my duty and obligation to finish the last of the brownies/cake/ice cream dessert left from the party. :)

2. Jacques Cousteau's birthday was Monday, June 11th...ever been scuba diving? Is that something you'd like to try? What's your favorite 'under the sea' creature?
I have not been scuba diving, but my husband and some of our children have done a resort course followed by an afternoon dive. Our kids are all swimmers, were all lifeguards, and are very comfortable in the water. I think they would all enjoy scuba diving often, if given the opportunity. I am content with snorkeling in the clear blue water of Grand Cayman. Or better yet, I'll stay on the boat and take pictures while they snorkel.

My favorite 'under the sea' creature is the stingray, pictured below with our 5 at Stingray City in Grand Cayman. They have enjoyed swimming with the stingrays many times, starting when they were very small.

I have held a stingray, but I do best watching them swim past me without actually touching them. Thankfully, the ones at Stingray City are quite tame, and comfortable with the hundreds of tourists that visit each day.

3. On a scale of 1-10, how comfortable are you in and around the water? (1=not at all, 10=very) Do you know how to swim and if so how and when did you learn?
I would rate myself a 9. I learned to swim as a child, and still enjoy the water. Of course, these days, I prefer floating to swimming, but I am still comfortable in the water. As mentioned above, our children were all swimmers, and I spent hundreds of thousands of hours on the deck of a pool. I remember fondly the sweet smell of chlorine, the humidity in the air, and my view from lane six with a stopwatch in my hand.

Of course, with a lifeguard like this around, how could I not be comfortable?
That's Andrew, pictured in Hell, Grand Cayman.

4. What's something you do to motivate yourself to tick an item off your to-do list?
Wait until the last minute. (Note #1 above.)

5. What makes a good neighbor? Are you a good neighbor?
This question made me think of the Robert Frost poem, Mending Wall, and the line that says: "Good fences make good neighbors." I'm not sure it's true, as it seems that sometimes, walls must come down to see your neighbor well enough to be good to him. We live on a farm, so we don't have the kind of neighbors that you meet at the backyard fence, or when you're taking the trash to the curb. I grew up in a neighborhood where we played across backyards, caught lightning bugs in the evening, and rode bikes from driveway to driveway. I miss those carefree days, and wonder, in a world that requires us to be ever mindful of our safety and protective of our privacy, if we have forgotten how to be good neighbors?

6. Who loads the dishwasher at your house? Is there a right way and a wrong way?
There is not a wrong way to load a dishwasher. Especially if someone besides me is doing the loading. Just load it!

7. You know it's summer when_________________________.
The answer to this one has changed over the stages of my life. Through the years, summer has meant barefoot kids, morning swim practice, evening swim meets, detasselers in the yard, swimming at Nana's, horse shows, county fair, and sweet corn. Recently, I know it's summer when we head to the lake for a weekend of floating.

8. Insert your own random thought here.
The newlyweds will celebrate 7 weeks of marriage on Saturday, and I wanted to share just a few more thoughts about the wedding day. Bryan did a great recap over on his blog, and you can read it here.

A few more of my favorite pictures from the day...
Despite a wet start, the weather cooperated for the pictures, and the umbrellas were just for fun. (Though they did have to work to keep Jennifer's dress out of the puddles.)

 Their first look.

Jennifer and her four brothers.





Love them!

And if you have a few extra minutes, you might like to watch the wedding video, produced by Faithful Bull Productions. It is so much fun, and really captures the day. I watch it almost every day. :)


Bryan and Jennifer from Faithful Bull Productions on Vimeo.

Happy Wednesday!

No comments: