Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Spring for the Hodgepodge

Today is Wednesday, and that means it's time for the Hodgepodge. I have been hit or miss on my participation lately with trips and projects going on, so I'm glad to be here today. Thanks to Joyce, our hostess, for being faithful in planning this little party. She will be taking a well-deserved spring break next week, but she's participating in the April A-Z challenge (she's an overachiever, that Joyce!) so you can stop by and pay her a visit any day this month.
Here are her questions and my answers:
1. April showers bring May flowers, or so the saying goes. When did you last 'shower' attention on someone or have attention 'showered' on you? Did you love it, or did all that attention make you squirm?

Showering someone means a bridal or baby shower to me. The last time I showered someone in that way was the Texas themed bridal shower we had for my niece, Caroline, last fall.
It was these same ladies, and Caroline's mom, that went cruising together with Sandi Patti. Talk about being showered with attention! A cruise ship is definitely a place where you feel pampered and waited on. After our first lunch with Ryan, he was at our service every time we visited the Lido pool.
We had our own personal butler for our day on Half Moon Cay.
Amin attended to our every need, and even showed off his napkin folding skills by making some pretty flowers for us.
And every night, our cabin stewards left a sweet little towel sculpture to bid us good night. This kind of attention was a treat. 
I will say, though, that there are times when attention focused on me alone does make me squirm. I'm fine with remaining anonymous.

2. Share a favorite 'spring break' memory. Not talking about just the 'college spring break' thing, but any favorite spring break memory you'd like to share. Keep it family friendly please!

I have many memories of childhood spring breaks in sunny Florida with my family and friends. We always drove, of course, in the Ford station wagon that was roughly the size of a barge. You would think that would allow three kids plenty of room to spread out, but we had lots of times where we drew lines between us and complained that someone was 'looking at us' as we drove south. We stopped at Stuckey's along the way, and wondered about the fabulous attractions promoted on billboards all. the. way. We joked about Ruby Falls, and wondered if anyone caught poor Ruby on her fall. I don't think we ever stopped to 'See Rock City', but we did stop at Gatorland one time. Overrated. And kind of icky.

We always drove all night to get there, and this is a favorite classic photo taken at the welcome station at the Florida state line.
My poor mother had endured 12 hours of 8 year old boys saying 'pig yuck' and laughing hysterically, as only 8 year old boys can do. My cousin was along on this trip, and he and my youngest brother were quite a pair. 'Pig yuck!' I still don't know what's so funny about it, but they got going and could. not. stop. All night long. We joke that the photo looks a bit like something out of 'The Twilight Zone.' 

I remember staying at the Seaspray in West Palm Beach, where we were fascinated by the elevator, and had an Easter egg hunt on the pool deck and a scavenger hunt on the beach. We went with a few other families, which was fun.

For several years, we stayed at Wits End Motel on Madeira Beach. It was a small motel, with 'kitchenette' units, and advertised a heated pool and shuffleboard. (Remember shuffleboard?) The best part was that it was right on the beach, small, safe, and clean. My grandparents came with us sometimes, and even my Granny came along once. I found a picture of this postcard online. As you might imagine, this little motel is long gone, and something bigger and fancier occupies this prime stretch of beach.
Here we are in the pool. We didn't know so much about sun damage back then, and it was pretty common to get a sunburn during the first few days in Florida. We heard that vinegar could relieve the sting, and the kids in the group all doused ourselves in vinegar before bed one evening. I don't remember the relief, but I do remember the smell!
 My mom and me by the pool.
 We always attended church on Easter, many times a sunrise service.
One year, the trip included Disney World. If you look closely, my youngest brother has a cast on his arm. This was thanks to a scuffle between brothers the night before we left. We actually waited in the car, all packed, while he got his cast on before hitting the road.
We had lots of fun on those road trips, enjoying the scenery, stuck in traffic, and trying to hold it until the next pit stop. I appreciate our parents taking us on trips, including friends and grandparents, and making special memories.

3. It's National Pecan Month...are you a fan? If so, what's your favorite dish that calls for pecans?

Pecan pie! Many years ago, I was given a couple of special pie recipes by a talented home-town pie baker, and this is one of them. It's one of our favorites.

4.  'Put all your eggs in one basket', 'egg on your face', 'rotten egg', 'walk on eggshells', or 'a good egg'...which egg-spression could most recently be applied to your own life?

Well, it wasn't really my fault, but I did feel a bit like 'egg on my face' when my credit card was declined while we were on vacation. So embarrassing! Turns out, someone had acquired our credit card number (again) and the credit card company had shut it off due to the suspicious charges. Thankful that they keep close tabs, irritated that it happened yet again (this is probably the 5th or 6th time), and inconvenienced because I'm left without a credit card until the new one is processed and received. So annoying.

5.  In my experience____I have learned that you can't sweat the small stuff. And it's all small stuff.

6. What's a  favorite song with the word rain in its title or lyrics?


My Favorite Things.
The Sound of Music is one of my favorites, and this song was the first one I thought of when I read the question. I like my answer because so many 'songs about rain' are sad ones, and this one is definitely not sad. It's a great scene in the movie, and I love the fun and happiness shared by Maria and the children as she sings about her favorite things. 
Raindrops on roses and whiskers on kittens...

7. What does the word hope mean to you?



8.  Insert your own random thought here.

I am a little late getting my post up because I'm sharing my morning with these three cuties. My two granddaughters and my great-niece are having fun together playing doll house and princesses, giving treats to Gumbo, and singing songs. And I think that's a great reason to postpone blogging for a few minutes. :)
post signature

1 comment:

Joyce said...

I love the station wagon picture. I'm sure we have one similar from my childhood. It does look a little Twilight Zone-ish : )