Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Cute Little Hodgepodge

Time again for the Hodgepodge. Thanks to Joyce for hosting. Be sure to click on the button to visit her blog. Check out the other bloggers who participate as well.


1. Have you ever been 'asked' to report for jury duty? Were you chosen to serve? If not, were you happy or disappointed?
I was asked to report for jury duty way back in 1988. The morning I was to be there, I had sick children. When I called the judge (we live in a small town) to tell him that two of my children were breaking out with chicken pox, he told me that I needed to stay home with them. I guess it seemed like a pretty good excuse. Truthfully, by the time I had been through several weeks of chicken pox (4 kids AND a husband), I may have welcomed the chance to leave the fun to serve on a jury.
Sadly, I couldn't put my hands on the chicken pox photos to post them. I am sure my children are thankful for that. They'll turn up one of these days...

2. On a scale of 1-10 (with 10 being very), how mechanically inclined are you? Give an example to back up your answer.
I don't really have much interest in how things work, as in electric appliances or engines and such, but I'm pretty good at putting things together, if that counts. I guess maybe a 5? 6?

3. Beets-cabbage-cauliflower-butternut squash....of the four, which is your favorite fall vegetable?
Do you mean to eat, or to look at? I can't say that any one of these is my favorite, although I guess I would have to choose cabbage because our family does enjoy Blue Cheese Slaw, pictured with the burger below.
The recipe calls for 6 cups chopped cabbage (I use bagged), 1/2 pound crumbled bacon, 4 ounces blue cheese crumbled, 8 ounces Marzetti's slaw dressing. Mix it up and garnish with cherry or grape tomatoes. Yum, even for folks who are not normally blue cheese fans.  Jim and Bryan like it ON their burgers.

4. What do you recommend to overcome self-pity?
Just get over it. :)

5. Do you enjoy classical music?
I do, but it is not the music I listen to most frequently.

6. October is National Book Month...what's on your reading list this month?
I lead a book club at our church, and the October selections are June Bug, by Chris Fabry,
and The Kitchen House, by Kathleen Grissom.
I enjoyed both books, as did the ladies in my book club. I would recommend both.

7. What is your idea of 'cute'?
These three, of course.

8. Insert your own random thought here.
 Jennifer had two days off this week, so she came home to the 'burg. We are knee deep in wedding planning, and it seems like she spends most of her time on the computer researching, getting ideas, shopping, dreaming, making lists, and sending emails. How in the world did we ever plan weddings without the internet?
 With the wedding just 6 months away, it feels like we are making good progress, but I'm sure come April there will be that wave of last minute panic. I told Jennifer two things when we started the planning. 1. That the marriage is more important than the wedding, and 2. That we would be still be friends through it all. :) 
So far, so good.

No comments: