Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Who Dat Hodgepodge

Wednesday, Hodgepodge day. Joyce hosts a blog hop over at From This Side of the Pond. Be sure to visit and join in the fun.

1. How do you typically react in a sudden, extreme, pressure-filled crisis? Would we want you nearby in an emergency?
I guess I do what I have to do. I could never be an ER nurse though. Too much pressure. 
I should be set for minor emergencies, since I took first aid in college. Ha! Here is Jim (1981) in our tiny married student apartment after I practiced my bandaging on him. It takes talent to cook with a "broken" arm. :)

2. Caramel apple-caramel sundae-caramel corn-caramel macchiato...of the four, which caramel treat would you choose?
Caramel sundae. With this on top. Do you know Mrs. Richardson? Good on ice cream. Good straight out of the jar (don't tell me you've never done this). 
Just. So.Good.

3. Is there such a thing as destiny? Explain.
This is a hard one for me on a rainy day like today. I looked up the definition of destiny. I looked up some quotes about destiny. I liked this one:

Destiny is no matter of chance. It is a matter of choice. It is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved.
William Jennings Bryan

4. What's your favorite piece of furniture? I'm referring to something currently in your possession as opposed to something on your wish list.
My daily favorite is my couch. My napping couch.
My other favorite is our dining room table. We don't eat there every day, so when we do it means it's some kind of celebration. A birthday. A holiday. Kids home. And sharing food and fellowship around the table is always a favorite of mine.

I also love our table because it was made just up the road at The Sampler in Homer, Indiana. I remember the day it was delivered, in the summer of 1986. I was here with my three kids, three and under, and the delivery boy thought I was the babysitter. :)

5. Wednesday night marks the start of the 2011 Baseball World Series. Did you know? Do you care? Will you be watching? Ever been to a professional baseball game? If you're not an American do you find the title 'World Series' annoying or amusing?
I'm a football fan now, but I followed baseball back in the day of the Big Red Machine. I attended games in Riverfront Stadium in Cincinnati and cheered for the Reds. It was an exciting era in baseball. My love of sports probably started with baseball, thanks to my dad and my brothers.
My love of baseball has faded a bit. It sometimes seems like watching paint dry. Sorry baseball fans. But I still love sports. You know, "the thrill of victory, and the agony of defeat." There are so many lessons in sports, and so many parallels to "real life."

6. A sound that takes me back to my childhood is____________.
A lawn mower. My dad sometimes mowed a path around our yard before he finished the job, and we ran around following the track.

7. On average, once you've linked your hodgepodge post to mine how many other participant blogs do you visit? Do you ever come back to the Hodgepodge later in the day or even the day after to read posts?
I read most of the other posts on the Hodgepodge. I enjoy seeing other blogs and "meeting" other bloggers. I do come back sometime later to read posts as well. If I'm not careful, I could spend all day just reading blogs! (Does anyone else find this to be a problem true?) 

8. Insert your own random thought here.
Jim and I will be heading to New Orleans this weekend for the big Sunday night game between the Saints and the Colts. I know that since I live in Indiana and cheer for the Saints, I am in the minority. In fact there are some folks here that might just despise be irritated by me after what the Saints did to the Colts in the Super Bowl. My loyalty to fellow Purdue alumni Drew Brees has spilled over to his team, and I have become a true Who Dat! My brother (Colts fan) and his wife will be going with us this year. While he expected to see #18  play, the game will now be a face-off between two Boilermaker quarterbacks. Purdue is the Cradle of Quarterbacks, you know. And anything can happen in Sunday Night Football.
 This is our third trip to NOLA to see the Saints play. It is a fun city, and we especially enjoy the abundance of fine dining offered in the Big Easy. I always plan to try out a new restaurant while we are there. Any suggestions?

No comments: