Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Word to the Wednesday Hodgepodge

It's Wednesday already, and time for a little Hodgepodge. Time does march right along, doesn't it? Please enjoy my answers, and then click on over to see Joyce and the others. It's great fun, you know!

1. Lake Superior State University has once again published a list of words/phrases they think should be banished from the Queen's English in 2012-

amazing, baby bump, shared sacrifice, occupy, blowback, man cave, the new normal, pet parent, win the future, trickeration, ginormous, and thank you in advance.

Which of these words/phrases would you most like to see banished from everyday speech and why? Go here to read more about how the words are chosen.

I would banish 'baby bump.' It is not a phrase I use, and, as said in the LSSU article, makes being pregnant sound like a new fashion accessory. Trust me, it is much more than that!

2. Are you easily embarrassed?
When I was younger, definitely, in old age, not so much.

3. What is your go-to snack?
Anything involving chocolate. Or ice cream.
Or any combination of the above.

4. Have you ever been to Washington D.C.? If not do you have any desire to go? What site/attraction would you most want to see in that city? If you have been, what's your favorite site/attraction?
We took the kids to DC back in 1997. They were ages 6, 9, 11, 12, and 14, and they all enjoyed and learned from the trip. There is so much history to see and experience. We stayed right in the city, and took the Metro or walked to almost all the attractions. Of course, there was that little incident when Jim was Lost in the Smithsonian, but that's a story for another day.

I am inspired by all of the many sights to see in our nation's capital, but I will choose a couple of favorites. It seems I can never choose just one! Arlington National Cemetery is a place to honor and remember those who have given their lives for our freedom. The changing of the guard at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier is an especially impressive ceremony.




Another favorite was the National Cathedral. We took a tour which included afternoon tea in the tower, and I loved it. Though the kids weren't too keen on crumpets, the view was amazing, and it was so interesting and awe-inspiring to tour this amazing building. 
The Cathedral sustained significant damage in the earthquake last August. They are currently in the process of repairing the damage, which occurred primarily in the highest parts of the building. You can read more about it here, and learn about the fund-raising efforts to finance the repairs.


5. sit ups-planks-lunges-squats...which do you hate the least?
I hate them all equally.

6. What's a small act of kindness you were shown that you've never forgotten?
One spring break, Jim was working, and I decided to take the five kids on a road trip. We didn't have a plan, and I told them they could choose a direction, we would find a hotel, spend the night, and come home the next day. I also had little slips of paper in the car, on which I had written things like, 'stop at a church,' 'stop and buy a pop from a machine,' and 'stop in a university town.' We made our first stop at the Indiana Basketball Hall of Fame. It happened to be the day they were inducting new members,so we got to see some famous Indiana basketball players. From there we headed north, stopped at Purdue (the only university town on their list), and then on toward Chicago. By this time, it was evening, and since I wasn't sure I wanted to drive into the city and find a hotel at night, we stopped and stayed in Merrillville, with the promise that we would visit Chicago the next day.
Although we did visit Shedd Aquarium that day, the highlight for my group was Michael Jordan's Restaurant. Even though he wasn't there, his aura filled the place, and my boys were in Michael Jordan awe just looking at the photos and memorabilia on display. And yes, there is an act of kindness in this rambling story, I promise.
We ate lunch there, and had a sweet waitress, probably college age, who was impressed with the five kids and  a crazy mom on a road trip to Chicago. She was friendly and efficient, and surprised us when, at the end of the lunch, she brought us dessert, which she had gotten permission to offer us at no cost. She said that she  grew up in a large family, and they never got to have dessert, so she wanted the kids to have it. It was very sweet, and I was touched by her kindness.

7. Have you ever been a blood donor?
Um, no. Have I told you I hate needles? And my blood? Not so good for sharing.

8. Insert your own random thought here.

I have decided that my word for 2012 will be OPEN.
I hope to keep my eyes open to really see others around me.
To see those who are hurting.
To see those who are in need.
To see those who are celebrating.
Those who are lonely.
Those who are are growing up right before my eyes.
To enjoy every moment, because I have learned how quickly those moments fly by.
I hope to keep my heart open to share love.
To show compassion.
To reach out to others.
To lend a hand.
I hope to keep my mind open to learn new things. (Hard as that may be for someone my age.)
To embrace all God's children.
To listen more, and speak less. 
To imagine the possibilities that are open to each of us every day.
Do you have a word for 2012?

No comments: