Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Spring for the Hodgepodge

It's springtime on Wednesday, and time for a little Hodgepodge. Enjoy my answers, then click on over to visit Joyce, our hostess, and the other participants.

1. The first day of spring is here...do you enjoy working in the yard? Weeding, raking, mowing, planting-your favorite springtime garden chore? How about your least favorite?
Well let's see now... no. And no, no, no, and no. I don't think I can have a least favorite when I don't have a most favorite. I love beautiful flowers, but I'm just not very good at making it happen. The impatiens we planted at the lake last year were doing well until they all got eaten off by deer. Oh well.

2. What puts a spring in your step?
A beautiful day, great music, the kids coming home, a team victory...

3. Describe a time when you had to spring into action?
Any time company is coming!

4. We're having carrots for dinner...would you prefer yours raw or cooked?
Carrot Souffle! It's the best way to eat carrots, and I'm sharing the recipe. You will love it!
1 lb. baby carrots
1 stick butter, melted
3 eggs
1/2 cup sugar
3 T. flour
1 t. baking powder
1 t. vanilla
salt to taste
Cook carrots in salted water until tender. Drain well. In blender, put eggs, melted butter, sugar, flour, baking powder, vanilla and salt. Blend well. Add carrots and blend well until mixture resembles milk shake. Pour into greased 8x8 glass dish. Bake at 275 for 45 minutes. (Allow more time if you double the recipe.)

5. Do you take the shampoos and other sundries from your hotel room when its time to check out?
I sometimes take them, if it's something I like. My husband usually brings them back from his business trips and we send them with the mission trips to Haiti and other places that might need them.

6. What's the most enjoyable team or club you've belonged to and what was it that made it so?
I have been part of the P.E.O. Sisterhood since 1985, and have enjoyed sharing with women of all ages in an effort to support women, education, and the close bond of sisterhood.
 P.E.O. is a philanthropic organization where women celebrate
the advancement of women; educate women through scholarships, grants, awards, loans, and stewardship of Cottey College; and
motivate women to achieve their highest aspirations.

Last week, my sister-in-law hosted the meeting at her house. One of the members gave an interesting program about herbs. I always learn things from my P.E.O. sisters. 

Janet had a beautiful arrangement for her centerpiece. That should put you in a spring mood!

It's always fun to set a pretty table.

Of course, a delicious dessert makes for a nice afternoon too!

 7. Is cloning a sign of progress?
Hmmm, I would like to clone my little dog, and my good ol' horse, but I don't really think it's a good idea for humans.

8. Insert your own random thought here.
In keeping with the spring theme...

I took these photos on Sunday, the 18th of March. It is unusual to have everything in full bloom this early in Indiana, but just beautiful to enjoy. I think spring has officially arrived. I just hope winter doesn't decide to make an appearance after all!

Our little town boasts of the "World Famous Tower Tree" which grows on our courthouse tower. Most folks around here just take it for granted, and give it barely a look while in the downtown area. It's always fun to see a group pile out of their car to look up and take pictures of the little tree.
The local joke is: Do you know how the tree gets its water??
From the spring in the clock. Haha. Get it? The spring in the clock?

Finally, look who has sprung (barely) to the top of the leader board in our family bracket challenge. I may not be there for long, but I'll enjoy my view from the top while it lasts! #marchmadness


No comments: