Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Thanks for the Hodgepodge

It's Wednesday Hodgepodge time, so sit back, relax, and enjoy reading my fascinating answers. Ha! Be sure to click over to Joyce's blog and read her answers, too. Many thanks to her today (and every Wednesday) for posing the questions and being our Hodgepodge hostess.

Here are Joyce's questions and my answers:

1. My sister is celebrating a birthday today. Happy Birthday little sis! What's one way you're like your siblings?  If you don't have siblings how are you like your lifelong best friend or cousin?
I am the firstborn only girl in my family, so, obviously, the perfect child. Lol. My two younger brothers may or may not agree with that, but I do believe they have grown to appreciate my bossiness wise advice.  The photo below is a good depiction of our personalities. I, of course, am sitting up straight and smiling for the camera. Ted is plotting a way to ditch these losers and find a party somewhere. Michael is not happy about sitting for a picture and is working on another scheme to get his own way. (The baby of the family always gets his way, right?) Just kidding, of course! 
By the way, nice socks, boys. :)
We had this photo taken as a surprise for our parents when I was a senior in high school. Yes, we eventually learned to get along pretty well, and we still do. We are alike in that we are resourceful and creative. Oh, and we like to be right. :)

2.  What's the first thing that comes to mind when you think of yourself at age eighteen?
Driving my little green Chevy Vega, loving my senior year of high school, then enthusiastically enjoying all the experiences that college had to offer.

3. Sculptor-actor-painter-dancer...if you could excel in one of these arts, which would you choose and why?
As you can tell from the picture, I'm a dancer from way back. That being said, today, at age 50-something, I would find great pleasure in finding a beautiful spot outdoors and being able to paint a picture of the wonders that God created.

4. What's a scent that takes you back in time, and where does it take you?
Chlorine.
Takes me back to years of swim meets: lining up kids, labeling ribbons, and eventually watching and timing from my spot in lane 6. I'll alway love that smell. (And I'll bet I'm the only one with that answer.)  :) 

5. November is for Peanut Butter Lovers (National Peanut Butter Lovers Month).  Are you a lover or a hater?  What's your favorite dish/recipe that calls for peanut butter? 
I am a fan of peanut butter. Especially in Reese's! My favorite recipe using peanut butter is for these cookie bars. It's a recipe we have been making since I was a teenager. We used to make it with Special K, but after they changed the shape of that cereal, I started using Rice Krispies. They are easy to make, and always good to take to a tailgate or a party.

Heat 1 cup white corn syrup and 1 cup brown sugar until bubbling.
Take off heat and add 1 cup peanut butter (smooth or crunchy).
Pour over 5 cups Rice Krispies and stir.
Press into 9x13 pan.
Melt 1 cup chocolate chips and 1 cup butterscotch chips and spread on top.
Enjoy!

6. What do people thank you personally for most often?
My kids and my husband thank me... for a meal, a gift, an errand, or taking care of the grandchildren (my pleasure, thank you).
I also receive thanks each month when I deliver donations from our church to the local food pantry. I heard an opinion recently, that the correct answer to "thank you" is "you're welcome." Seems many folks today say, "no problem" instead. What do you think? Is there a correct way to answer "thank you?"

7. What event this year are you most thankful for?
The birth of this little guy.


8.  Insert your own random thought here.
On Sunday evening, Jim and I went to a concert featuring the Annie Moses Band and Selah. It was so good! Truly a beautiful night of music and worship. The Annie Moses Band was new to me, but I have been a Selah fan for many years. In fact, not surprisingly, I think of them as my friends. Lol. Of course I do. :)
They opened the show together, performed separate sets, then came back together for a finale and an encore. So awesome.
Here's a little clip of one of my favorites. Enjoy, and God bless you.

No comments: