Monday, June 14, 2010

Horsin' Around

On Saturday, I had the opportunity to announce for the 4-H Area I Horse & Pony Show at the Hoosier Horse Park in Edinburgh. Thankfully, it's only a short drive from the lakehouse, which made the 7:30 am start time a little easier for me. Jennifer had such a good experience showing her horses in 4-H, that is is nice to be able to give back and stay in touch by volunteering for this event.

The morning started out rainy, but the skies cleared as the day went on. The show starts with the halter and showmanship classes, with the junior and senior exhibitors showing in two rings simultaneously. It makes for a hectic morning getting them all in the correct classes, and announcing results from the two ends of the arena. After lunch, the arena is prepared for the riding classes.

One of our former 4-Hers, Doug, served as ring steward. Here he is chatting with the judges.

My view of the arena from the announcer's stand.

Our 4-H leader, Rocky, keeping an eye on the show ring. I don't think you could find a more dedicated or supportive leader. She's the best.
Janet and Sara, two more dedicated volunteers. Can you tell they're mother and daughter?
I was able to snap a few pictures during the riding classes. This is Hunter on her mule, wearing a shirt made by Show Grace Designs. It's always fun for me to see one of our outfits in the show ring.



Erika, another Decatur County 4-Her.

Clayton. He's such a cutie.

Hannah and Sonny. Here she's all smiles...

and here she's wearing her serious horse show game face. This was before her horsemanship class, which she WON! It's always fun for me to watch the kids show. Of course, I think of most of these kids as still being about 6 years old. I don't feel any older, so how can these kids be growing up so fast?

After the show, I headed back to the lake, and was greeted by this guy at the end of our road.

I grabbed my camera as he (she?) trotted off across the road.

No comments: